TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Can it happen that if a person worked for 11 years in a very

Can it happen that if a person worked for 11 years in a very stressful job, but now has a job that is a lot less stressful, that the person can then get into the habit of becoming lazy? If so, how can this person tackle this problem if they have had this problem for about 2 years already? Thank you for your assistance.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for requesting my help with your question.

A person cannot become lazy just because they had a stressful job. Usually when someone has worked very hard for a long time, they can become burned out. Burn out can be a high level stress that comes from working beyond your normal capacity. As a result, you overcompensate for what you don't have to give the job and end up depleting your body and mind. Once the job is over, you experience the effects which can include:

trouble sleeping

You can experience these symptoms even if it has been two years. This would be particularly true if the stress was over a long period of time and/or the job burnout was never fully addressed.

If you experience burn out, seeking help is important. See your doctor to be sure there are no consequences physically.

Take time to rest. You may need a long vacation or an extended time off working.

Seek out support from friends, family and co workers. They not only can help, but they can provide understanding that few others can.

If you find that you still feel burned out even after you have tried some remedies, you may need to talk to a counselor. What you are experiencing may be emotional and a therapist can help you find out the root of what is causing it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What is felt right now is more like I can do it, but I just don't want to. I keep saying "tomorrow, I'll get down to business." Tomorrow comes and I say the same thing. Tomorrow comes again; I say the same thing again and so forth. How do I tackle this?

The same way as burn out. Burn out is like that. You end up feeling so tired of working all the time that you don't want to face it anymore. So you put it off working in any capacity because it feels so overwhelming.

Work through the suggestions we talked about. What you are experiencing does sound like burn out. And if you have burn out, there is no way to force yourself to keep working because your body and mind are already taxed to the limit.

If the suggestions do not work, try seeing the therapist. It could be that your burn out is so great you need help working through it or that there is a psychological reason behind how you are feeling. You may have ended up with depression from the stress of your job and all the time you had to control your emotions on the job.