Mark Manley
Mark Manley, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. Over 15 years exp. Married 30 years and happy.

I believe my husband of 28 years is a symptoms

I believe my husband of 28 years is a symptoms have spired me down and down.....our only daughter, 21, thinks we are
both are terrible and she can't stand to be at home (I don't blame her) as we argue so much, or have hurt feelings/ overall feeling all these years is shame that I
am such a bad person, and have all these flaws...and no matter what I do, I am always
the trouble maker, even when I "try" so hard not to be...
so my question, is there ever a time to let her know that I am not as bad as she thinks, or just start trying to be different different now that I have "broken free" to a point. Also, do I let my husband know what I think, or just try to get him (us) to counseling and hope it helps?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Mark Manley replied 4 years ago.
You mean end your life?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm not suicidal...but I am a believer in Christ and feel fine about what happens after this life is over....I don't want my marriage to end, either. i"m just tired of the cycle of trying to "talk" and everything exploding either in shouting or a higher "wall"
You are reading great books. As you know it is often darkest before the dawn. You are on track to find a lot more happiness, and freedom than you have experienced in your life previously. You are becoming conscious and aware of so many dynamics that you have lived with but not understood. I certainly do recommend that you and your husband seek some counseling together or you risk leaving him in the dust. Also if he will go and work at it you guys might find a new level of relating, and communicating. If nothing else you can base your invitation to him on the premise that you are growing and changing and want him to understand your process and how it effects or may effect him.

Also I am concerned about your hormonal balance and whether you are experiencing some depression related to imbalance. The reason I say this is your age and your gloomy outlook in spite of your growth and development.

Please let me know your thoughts on the above.

Mark Manley