TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Kate, I just cannot stop crying. I have no energy or drive

Kate,

I just cannot stop crying. I have no energy or drive to do anything. I don't know what to do. The feelings are so intense.

My appointment with my therapist yesterday didn't go as I wanted. In the end though she arranged it that she could see me twice a week for a hour but she took a much firmer stance with me. She says she isn't there for me to make me feel better each time I leave but instead to give me the tools and support so I can do it for myself. She told me she cares a lot but that I need to make some decisions on what I want.

She did mention the hospital again. She feels her hands are tied because I can't seem to do anything for myself but will not agree to let someone else (hospital) help me. She is also looking into a program that is disignated for people who self harm. She toldl me she doesn't want me to do anything impulsive and suggested I write down what I am thinking of doing before doing it. Then to ask myself if this is the right thing for my daughter and am I doing something that may jepordize that.

I agree with this but I feel so awful. But stomach is tied into knots and the tears keep coming. I wish I could just sleep the rest of my life away.

Kathy

Kathy,

It is very hard to face the difficult uphill climb to feeling better. Hearing your therapist tell you these things cannot be easy on top of it. She is probably trying to help you the best way she can. She may feel that this is the way to do it. You may not agree, which is fine. But even though you may not agree, she is trying to help. She wants the best for you and so she is trying to find a way to help you to feel better, whatever it takes.

Motivation is very difficult when you feel so bad. It is the hardest symptom to deal with because it takes away your ability to help yourself. But sometimes forcing yourself to go through the motions is the only way to create motivation for yourself. Do something for yourself even if you cry right through it. And keep doing it until you complete it. Pick one thing a day you will do to help yourself feel better. Set a time to do it then push yourself the whole way. Tell yourself that you can do this and you will feel better once you complete the activity.

Also, try something your therapist suggests. Be determined to show her that you are trying. Get a little mad if you have to. You may want to try her suggestion to write down your feelings before you do something impulsive. Buy a special book to write it in. And keep it for a few weeks then show her.

I know this is hard. But you can work through it. One step at a time, one minute at a time if need be.

Kate

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Can I Kate? Do I have it in me to complete any task?

I am having difficulty just dealing with my daughter. Lucky she sleeps late and spends a lot of time on the phone with her friends.

I'm not sure that I have the energy or desire to do a single thing. However, I do like the idea of writing things down to become less impulsive.

I wish it was night time and I could go to bed. Next week my daughter is back in school. Then I can stay in bed more and do not need to make any effort whatsoever.

Sometimes, I do wish that someone else could take care of me. I am so tired of the uphill climb. Tired and so incredibly sad. The sadness hurts me so much.

Kathy,

You do have it in you to complete any task you want. It is just hard to see that now because your feelings are covering it up. To bring them out, you need to try to go through the motions. Once you can do that enough, you will begin to gain back your motivation.

It is ok to acknowledge that you feel down, tired and sad. But believe it or not, it takes a lot of energy to feel that way. You are meant to experience a wide range of emotions on a regular basis and right now, your mind is thinking thoughts that keep you down. Focusing on those thoughts can take a lot of your energy.

Change your thinking bit by bit by trying one positive thought a day. If you feel down and tired, try thinking about your daughter and how wonderful she is. Think of the great things she does or something she is talented at. Remember a time she made you laugh. Concentrate on her mannerisms or her way of expressing herself. Try to find the joy in your relationship. By changing what you think about, you can bring a few moments of joy in your life. That is a good place to start. Keep trying to come up with at least one positive thought. Once you can do that with some ease, think of two. As you go along, write down the thoughts. Soon you will have a list of thoughts you can turn to when you are having a bad day.

Kate