Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults
50717502

MY WIFE IS BIPOLAR. WHAT IS THE SOLUTION TO STAYING MARRIED

MY WIFE IS BIPOLAR. WHAT IS THE SOLUTION TO STAYING MARRIED WHEN NOBODY CAN STAY ARROUND HER VERY LONG. I DO NOT LIVE WITH HER BECAUSE SHE CALLS THE POLICE WHENEVER SHE DECIDES SHE IS NOT GETTING HER WAY. IS THERE A CURE FOR THIS BIPOLAR.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Brad The Therapist replied 2 years ago.

Brad :

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, there is no cure for bipolar disorder, but treating bipolar is very effective if you have the right combination of medications and therapy. I can see how difficult your marriage must be by your post, and I am wondering if you needed specific suggestions on what you want to do next with your marriage. Please tell me more about your wife's current symptoms, when this first started, and what treatment she is willing to obtain.

Customer:

SHE HAS BEEN THIS WAY FOR THE 20 YEARS I HAVE KNOWN HER BUT IT SEEMS TO GET WORSE IN THE PAST FIVE YEARS. CURRENTLY SHE HAS DRASTIC MOOD CHANGES AND ABUSES PRESCRIPTION DRUGS. SHE TALKS ON THE PHONE ABOUT NOTHING FOR HOURS. SHE HAS RAGING OUTBURST AND EMBARRASSES ANYONE WITH HER WITHOUT CARING ABOUT IT AND THEN SHE SHOWS SORROW FOR IT. IN FIVE MINIUTES SHE CAN TELL ME HOW GREAT OF A HUSBAND I AM AND THEN CUSS ME OUT AND TELL ME HOW SORRY OF A HUSBAND I AM.

Brad :

Has she pursued any treatment?

Customer:

YES , BUT SHE DOESN'T STAY WITH IT AND ONE PHYC. DROPPED HER AFTER SHE THREW A FIT.

Brad :

I see...what about couple's counseling?

Customer:

WE TRIED THAT AND THE DOCTOR TOLD ME GET AWAY FROM HER SHE IS CRAZY.

Brad :

And how do you feel about that recommendation?

Customer:

WELL I REALLY FEEL THAT SHE CAN'T MAKE IT WITHOUT ME AND I HAVE FILLED FOR DEVORCE TWICE BUT AFTER PRAYING ABOUT IT THE LORD JUST DOESN'T GIVE ME PEACE WITH IT SO I STOPPED THE DIVORCES.

Brad :

So you feel guilt if you leave the marriage

Customer:

YES, BECAUSE I SAID IN SICKNESS AND IN HEALTH UNTIL DEATH DO US PART AND I DO NOT WANT TO GO AGAINST THE LORD.

Brad :

My first suggestion for you is to attend a support group for family members with mental illness. You can find a group in your area through the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI.org)

Brad :

in terms of your wife, is she afraid that you will leave her or does she not care?

Customer:

SHE IS AFRAID I WILL LEAVE HER.

Brad :

I believe you can use this as leverage for her to receive treatment.

Brad :

Based on what you have written, you wife may have a prescription drug problem in addition to her bipolar disorder

Customer:

YES I BELIEVE THIS ALSO AND I HAVE LEVERAGED LEAVING HER BUT AFTER ITS OVER SHE GOES BACK THE SAME WAY WITHOUT TREATMENT.

Brad :

What do you mean but "after it's over"

Brad :

you mean once treatment is over?

Customer:

AFTER I STOP THE DIVORCE PROCEDEDINGS

Brad :

I see...and I am assuming you have done this a few times.

Customer:

TWICE

Brad :

What happens if you continued with the divorce proceeding?

Customer:

I GUESS I WILL BE DIVORCED AND I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT WOULD HAPPEN BUT I THINK THAT SHE WOULD CONTIUE TO BOTHER ME THE SAME AS BEFORE.

Brad :

I believe you are correct

Customer:

BEING I AM RETIRED MILITARY SHE WOULD LOOSE HER MEDICAL PRIVILAGES

Brad :

She has manipulated you to remain in the marriage twice at this point.

Customer:

YOU THINK THIS IS HER BEING A WOMAN?

Brad :

no, i believe this is her personality structure developed from early life experiences

Customer:

SO YOU THINK SHE IS NOT BIPOLAR OR IS IT JUST SO SHE CAN GET HER WAY?

Brad :

I can't make that diagnosis over this forum as I would need to see her in person. However, her drug use is troubling and she definitely has some mental health issues

Customer:

OK THANKS BRAD FOR THE ANSWERS YOU HAVE GIVEN ME . ITS MORE THAN I HAVE RECEIVED FROM OTHERS . I APPRECIATE EVERYTHING AND GOD BLESS YOU.

Brad :

you are very welcome. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Brad :

Please consider pressing the "accept" button if you found me helpful.

Brad :

All the best!

Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience: 10 years of experience in working with youth and adults