Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults

How does alcohol affect someone diagnosed with DID?

How does alcohol affect someone diagnosed with DID? If the person drinks and is in therapy working on dissociation would drinking make things worse?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Brad The Therapist replied 4 years ago.

Brad :

Thank you for your question. Yes, alcohol can interfere with dissociation depending on how much you drink and if depression is a trigger for dissociation. Please let me know if you have any further questions or if you need more details.

Brad - I suffer from depression and just got a dx of DID a few months ago. I had been sober for 15 years because I used alcohol to cope with depression. Now i drank a few drinks because its not like I can't drink cuz I am not an alcoholic. I was told alcohol could make the "parts" worse or dissociation. I was told to google it but can't find anything that explains what happens. I think your answer is enough but would like more detail so can you recommend a publication on the topic of alcohol and dissociation effects

Brad :

I recommend this book: Healing Trauma: Attachment, Mind, Body, and Brain by Daniel J. Siegel and Marion Solomo