Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

I have been having some negative thoughts lately. I think its

I have been having some negative thoughts lately. I think it's because of stress, but to be honest I have never felt better in a long time and not as stressed. When I am home or when I am stocking things at work I get a random burst of negative thoughts towards my family mostly towards my parents. It plays a scenario where I get in an argument with my mom in her suburban. (I just got my permit recently) and I stop get out and head home. We didnt get far. A heated argument goes on in my room and I end up pushing her out. My stepdad throws me over the staircase for pushing her and landing on my back. (I have a bad back, I'm fit but I have a hard time doing a sit up without support). Later on I throw my most prized possessions all over the house breaking them go outside and break the windshields of my parents cars and leave. My parents arent bad people and they're some of the closest people I have in my life. I don't know why I'm getting these bad negative thoughts.

Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
Let me ask you a question first.
How are your sleep and appetite lately?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have been sleeping better then I have lately 7-10 hours of sleep. 10 when I am really tired. My appetite has gotten better as well and have just started cooking for myself a few days ago. My diet though lacks fruit and vegetables and mostly consists of protein (eggs and bacon is my usual meal at home + bread). I know I lack veggies cause I have been craving them for a while. We do have frozen fruits, but I haven't touched them yet. Everything has improved in my life when it came to diet and sleep. (diet, because I would usually skip meals during the day, but now I eat regularly)
Hi there,
Thank you for your reply.
Possibly, you may have or be developing mild depression as you have negative thoughts about your family and parents lately.
Your sleep and appetite seem normal.
So, you don't have moderate to severe depression.
However, as you are aware, your negative thoughts and irritability are signs of mild depression.
If you can afford time and money, I would advise you to see a psychotherapist to express and process your feelings and thoughts and get advice and support WEEKLY. A combination of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy are considered to be effective to treat Depression.
Cognitive-behavior therapy may be effective for your condition.

You may ask your doctor for a psychologist/psychotherapist that you can work with weekly. Or you may call your insurance company and get a list of providers (licensed psychologists or psychotherapists) in your area.
Or, you can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to ( and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as Depression. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy and Depression. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that you want to work with – Male or female? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. She can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee.

If you have no health insurance or seek a low fee counseling, you may call The United Way toll free # XXXXX (Dial 2-1-1)to find the community mental health centers in your area in which you can get counseling even without health insurance.

Additionally, you may benefit from having a support group for young adults in your area.
The website Daily Strength (www.dailystrength) offers an online support group including depression and anxiety.

Also, a heart-healthy diet like Omega 3 fatty acid may improve your brain functioning and mood. Focus on fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Choose low-fat protein sources, such as fish, lean meat and skinless poultry. Hydrate yourself during daytime.

Physical activity increases blood flow to your whole body, including your brain. This may help improve your mood.
In addition, yoga, acupuncture, and massage therapy may be helpful to improve your mood and feel better.

Other recommendations are:
Avoid excess use of alcohol and drugs.
Sleep in complete darkness and try to be out in bright light during the day.
Have pleasurable activities with friends and/or family.
Choose to listen to sounds that have positive effects on your mood.
Set limits on the amount of time you spend on the internet to avoid information overload.

I hope you get well.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ah thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wont get worst and this will just pass. Thank you for your input!
Hi there.
You are welcome.
Hope you get well soon.
I wish you the very best,