Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Experience:  35 years experience counseling children and families
37122071

I am not sure what I should do. About two or more weeks ago

I am not sure what I should do. About two or more weeks ago I applied for therapy services. I filled out the paperwork that was necessary and turned it in. I have not heard back from them, as they said I would. I believe this may be do to the holidays. I am 19 years old, and live with my grandmother. Recently I have felt increasingly suicidal. I have a plan. I have the things I need to complete my plan...But I am trying very hard not to. Really the only reason I don't, is because then my grandma would have to deal with my mess. I just don't know what to do. Should I wait for the therapist to call me? Should I wait and call them tomorrow and see what's going on? Or do I need to go to the ER?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Bonnie replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,

Sorry to hear of your suffering and the waiting that is required. Most mental health providers have contracts with insurance companies which state that they will keep some appointment slots open for clients who need to get in quickly. So I would call them tomorrow or Tuesday (Monday is still a holiday) and explain the emergent situation...or call the insurance company and have them help you.

If you find yourself unable to stop the urge to go through with your plan, then go to the emergency room. Tell grandma that if need be, you will need her help to get to the emergency room. Don't hesitate to keep yourself safe.
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Experience: 35 years experience counseling children and families