Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

I am 58. I emigrated to Australia 35 years ago to marry, but have been separated and lived

Customer Question

I am 58. I emigrated to Australia 35 years ago to marry, but have been separated and lived alone for most of the past 15 years.

My first wife got breast cancer at age 34, which she blamed on the stress of living with me. For the better part of 8 years, she also blamed me for the fact that losing her breasts made her unattractive to others and meant that she was stuck with me. Eventually I left, but could not cope on my own and asked her to take me back. She did, but things did not improve and I I ended up having a long distance affair with my teenage sweetheart back in Ireland, which was a horrible way for me to end the marriage.

I have always been very insecure, "passionate" and even hysterical at times, but rarely have I been aggressive or violent and only physically violent on one occasion with another male. I have, however, just been aggressive and physically violent towards my latest lover, a woman with whom I had the deepest emotional connection I have ever experienced.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 4 years ago.

Hi! You know, to give you the best answer, I think I should ask you a few questions first that will help define the problem and the situation.

I don't want to assume what your question is. Could you instead state it for me?

What happened do you think to you in this situation that you reacted this way?

What is the state of the relationship now?

Was there trauma or abuse in your childhood? What about alcohol or dysfunction in your family when you were growing up?

You've had lots of psychotherapy for a long time. For what problems?

Are you getting any treatment right now? If so, what type? How is it going?

If not, when was the last treatment? What type of treatment was it? Was it helpful?

Any extra information that will help, feel free to share.

Dr. Mark