Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

Its my first time to ask some questions about my mental health

Customer Question

Its my first time to ask some questions about my mental health issues. I m suffering in depression, anxiety, lower level of OCD, eating disorder, PTSD due to my childhood issue. I m currently taking anti depressant med, I've been taking them for about 3 years now, I still have nightmare about my past about 1-4 times a week. I want to find some online information to self help and also want to find some online conselling or psycologist advice if that's possible, I've been seeing psycologist since 3 years ago, but had stopped one year ago since I moved far away from where i lived. I currently developed shoplifting addiction, I know I need help, I m not able to work since 8 years ago, I still have lots of dreams as I m a artist and designer, so I need help. Please let me know if there is any information you can provide online, i would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
I'm so sorry to hear about your situation.
Let me ask you a question first.
Do you want to work with a psychologist in your area again?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dr. Olsen,

I do want to work with psychologist, but due to my financial situation, i m not sure if I can afford it, I also forgot to mention about my borderline disorder. please write back soon, thank you again.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your reply.
I will be back with my answer soon.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for waiting.
It sounds like you have had mood disorder such as depression, anxiety, OCD, PTSD, and Eating disorder. You are on the antidepressant.
Your nightmares are symptoms of PTSD.
Your shoplifting addiction may be indicative of OCD and anxiety.
Yes, you need to work with a psychologist/psychotherapist weekly.
Also, a support group for women with PTSD may be helpful to you.

I understand your budget may be tight.
Ideally, you should work with a psychologist specialzing in PTSD/trauma, Cognitive-behavior therapy (CBT) and/or EMDR.

The most common treatment modalities for PTSD include cognitive-behavioral treatment (CBT), pharmacotherapy, EMDR, group treatment, and psychodynamic treatment.

You may find a licensed psychologist or psychotherapist who SPECIALIZES IN EMDR and/or CBT and PTSD & Depression in a community clinic, a local hospital or a private office setting.
Or contact your insurance company and get a list of providers with the specialty.

Or, you can search a licensed psychologist/psychotherapist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to (http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/ppc/prof_search.php?iorb=4764) and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as PTSD. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy and PTSD.
You may negotiate the fee you can afford monthly with therapists.

Also, if you have no health insurance and need low cost counseling, you can also call The United Way toll free # 211 to find the community mental health centers in your area where you can get counseling described above even without health insurance.
I think you should work with a psychologist/specialist.
But, you may benefit from getting support from a counselor if you can't afford psychotherapy. You shouldn't hold all your feelings inside alone.

To find a specialist/therapist for PTSD, contact ANXIETY DISORDERS ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA(http://www.adaa.org) and go to the link - (http://www.adaa.org/findatherapist). To find a therapist who specialize in EMDR, please go to the website (www.emdr.com) and go to the section FIND AN EMDR CLINICIAN (www.emdr.com/clinic).

Another way to find a PTSD specialist/psychiatrist in your area is, you can contact any of the following organizations: the Sidran Foundation 410-825-8888, Anxiety Disorders Association of America 212-543-5355; American Psychological Association 800-964-2000; NAMI 800-950-6264

Additionally, you may benefit from having a support group for women with PTSD in your area. To find a group therapy or a support group for herself, contact a local hospital or a clinic by asking if they offer a group for people with PTSD. If you like to find a support group online, check Mental Health America website section (http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/go/find_support_group) - Find a group in your area.
The website Daily Strength (www.dailystrength) offers an online support group including PTSD, depression, and anxiety.

Also, a heart-healthy diet like Omega 3 fatty acid may improve your brain functioning and mood. Focus on fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Choose low-fat protein sources, such as fish, lean meat and skinless poultry. Hydrate yourself during daytime.

Physical activity increases blood flow to your whole body, including your brain. This may help improve your mood.

In addition, yoga, biofeedback, acupuncture, nutrition, and massage therapy may be helpful to improve your mood and feel better.

Other recommendations are:
Avoid excess use of alcohol and drugs.
Sleep in complete darkness and try to be out in bright light during the day.
Have pleasurable activities with friends and family.
Choose to listen to sounds that have positive effects on your mood.
Set limits on the amount of time you spend on the internet to avoid information overload.

I hope you get well with all available help.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,