Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy

My daughters older cousins have been kissing her and not sure

Customer Question

My daughter's older cousins have been kissing her and not sure but possibly touching her. They have been keeping the other cousins from talking and have been threatening to keep them all quiet. My daughter is 4 and the older cousins range from 6,9,12. I haven't seen any changes in my daughter but am wondering if we should be taking her into couseling.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am very sorry to hear this. It would help if you elaborated more so that I will be in a better position to help you. Did you see them kiss her? Did she say something to you about it? Did someone else tell you?

I'll pause here and await your response to see if there is anything you would
like to add to this chat.If you have other questions, don't hesitate to ask. Just put Dr. Shirley Schaye before your response and I will be the one to respond.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dr Shirley Schaye. My daughter has not said anything other than she did not wish to talk about it. The story has been confirmed by three cousins that have witnessed this. It seems has been limited to kissing by the oldest holding my daughter and the 6 year old together. I have to say I don't know for certain that nothing else has happened that is more invasive but nothing has surfaced that would lead to this. Seems to have happened multiple times recently , always at grandmas and my daughter still wants to go see grandma
There are a couple of options you can take. Under NO circumstances allow her to be alone with the cousins at grandma's house. Of course, this would mean telling this to grandma. I would say bring her to a child therapist but you may not find anything out. Watch carefully. See if she brings anything up --- by that I mean her actions , as well. Kids tend not to talk that's why we child therapists do play therapy. If there are issues that make you feel more worried then do bring her to see a child therapist.

Is there anything else that makes you concerned?
If you do want me to help you find a child therapist give me your city, state and zip code and I will look for someone for you.