psychlady, Therapist
Experience:  Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.

What should I do now with my mental health program? Ive hit

What should I do now with my mental health program? I've hit a wall
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  psychlady replied 4 years ago.

If you have hit a wall you may need to change providers. Sometimes care is about the fit between therapist and patient. You can also supplement your therapy with self help methods that you learn on your own. You have to equip yourself with any modality possible. There are methods to supplement therapy. There are outreach workers for instance who are able to meet you where you are and help you with having someone extra to talk to. You can also contact the support orgaizations particular to your disorder. Sometimes these organizations have huge resources that would help you in your home. For instance a support group would help you find others that have similar issues. Often when people band together they help each other. Everyday issues are often resolved because you have other people with the same issues.

I am not in your state but these are ideas that may help you rely on other resources beyond the traditional mental health system. Ask your therapist for ideas along these lines. This adds pieces to the puzzle that is your mental health. Be creative. Use the internet to add resources to your life. Often support services can be just as important as traditional therapy

Please press accept; this is how I am compensated

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where can I find these support groups? Are they structured with someone who is licensed? I thought my therapist's credentials were great. She's a director at a Facility. But all she does is chit chat with me about general life things. We never address my concerns. Is this a good therapist?
Expert:  psychlady replied 4 years ago.
If you never address your concerns then maybe you just don't have the fit you need to be a good pair. That happens sometimes. You have to have a better interaction regardless of credentials. You should check your area paper or online to see if there are any support group for your issue or even the group that addresses this problem such as the area group for depression (I am making that up). Google support group and look for one that covers the issue you have