TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Kate, I cant get out of my sadness. I dont know why it

I can't get out of my sadness. I don't know why it is hitting me so hard right now (although there are contributing factors), but it is getting worse.

All I do is cry. I woke up this morning and instead of thinking "wow another year that is new and fresh", I prayed to God to take me not help me.

I am so lost right now. I doubt I can be found.

It sounds like whatever has happened this week to you has hit you harder than you had the ability to cope with at the moment. I understand that you feel it is hopeless right now, and maybe that you do not have the resources to deal with how you feel. It is very natural to feel that way when you are overwhelmed and feel depressed.

What would help is changing your thinking patterns. Try taking what happened to you and breaking it down. For example, if you are faced with a big bill you feel you cannot pay, break down the steps you can take to address the problem. One step is to contact the utility and ask for staggered payments throughout the month so you can meet your payment. Also, you can consider a small loan from family or friends. Take on an extra temporary job until you can get caught up. These are some examples of what you can do to address the issue.

Do not be afraid to ask advice from other when you do this. Depression can slow your thinking so it makes it hard to concentrate. But once you do change your thinking by taking steps to solve the problem, you will feel more in control and your depression may lift.

Also, make sure you talk about how you feel. It is important to share, no matter if it's with a support group on line or a friend. By sharing you allow someone to comfort you and share in your burden.

Go out, even if you have to force yourself. Talk a short walk, do some shopping or buy yourself something special.

Read about depression and ways others have dealt with how they feel.

Sometimes it's just a matter of time before your depression passes. Allow yourself to feel bad for a while, but take the time each day to address how you feel even if it's in small ways. Whatever happened to you will not be there forever and good things will happen again.