Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice

What is your view of OmegaBrite fish oil (Omega 3, 7:1 EPA

Customer Question

What is your view of OmegaBrite fish oil (Omega 3, 7:1 EPA to DHA ratio as a remedy for ADD/mood disorders, etc?

What would you recommend as a non-pharmaceutical approach. Medicines haven't worked for my son very well and the side effects are bad for him.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 4 years ago.

fish oil Omega Fatty acids had been shown effective in the management of ADD/ADHD and depression. Another option you may explore is supplementation with Organic Flax Seed oil omega fatty acids due to concerns with mercury from fish products. Life Extension is very proactive in documenting research about alternatives to medication to treat various conditions.

Nootropics such as Piracetam 800 is another supplement (odc) that can is being used in mood and ADD disorders effectively. Sugar craving had been linked to ADD/ADHD and using natural substitutes such as honey, agave, stevia..may be something to look into.

Scientific American magazine had listed the effectiveness of CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) in treating ADD w/o use of any medication.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for reply but I sorta knew about most of this already. I was looking for more specifics on OmegaBrite.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 4 years ago.

Hi! You know, to give you the best answer, I think I should ask you a few questions first that will help define the problem and the situation.

I am unclear: why is your interest in this one brand particularly? As opposed to other brands?

Your son is now at the age where what is often diagnosed as ADHD in childhood begins to show itself as a mood disorder like Bipolar Disorder. Is that's what is happening? You mention mood disorder: what has he been diagnosed with?

How many different medications have been tried? And were they all for ADHD or for mood disorders also?

Was there trauma or abuse in his childhood? What about alcohol or dysfunction in the family when he was growing up? Would these be factors in his situation?

Has he had any psychotherapy? Is he getting any treatment right now? If so, what type? How is it going?

If not, when was the last treatment? What type of treatment was it? Was it helpful?

Any extra information that will help, feel free to share.

Dr. Mark