Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

my wife became pregnant and she was on klonopin. she had an

my wife became pregnant and she was on klonopin. she had an abortion. i found out months later . she said her psychiatrist recommended not telling me because i was catholic. is he allowed to do that???she also claims her psychologist told her this also. they said the baby would have cleft palate. so she aborted it.  i need to know if professionals can tell a spouse to hide it from me.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 2 years ago.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

It was your wife who withheld the information from you whether or not she had outside advice. I don't agree with what she did, to terminate this life without your knowledge and consent, and I do not agree with what the psychiatrist recommended.

However, even if it was not morally ethical, it did not either violate his professional code of ethics or the law. I am sorry, but this is the way he is protected. He only gave advice, which was perhaps, in the long run, not in her best interest as it may affect her relationship with you.

Give her understanding. He is anxiety prone and she acted with professional guidance. What has been done cannot be undone. Try to forgive her and to move forward in a positive way. Use your faith to lean on and give you guidance and find the love in your heart to comfort her even if she strays from what you believe to be correct behavior.

Resolve for 2012 to be a better year with more understanding between you.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what are the odds that both a psychologist and psychiatrist tell her to do this. im wondering if she lied. also i just called the psychologistand he said he doesnt remember ever saying that , nor would he in regard to me being catholic. this was all about 4 years ago. ill hit accept after your response. thank you for your help

pete

Dear Pete,

The likelihood that both psychologist and psychiatrist told your wife to lie are slim. If this psychologist firmly told you that this is not his policy or way of advising patients, then your wife may not have been telling you the truth.

I understand how this hurts you because of your deep Christian faith. Do not forget the wisdom of St. Mark.

Mark 11:25

And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.

If you are getting along with your wife now, and if she is otherwise honest with you, then try to let this pass as a new year unfolds.

Blessings to your family,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.