psychlady
psychlady, Therapist
Experience:  Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.

I have had a history of depression and low energy. I can barely

I have had a history of depression and low energy. I can barely look after myself. I am pregnant and I am not sure if I should have this baby because I dont know if I will be a good parent and handle the stresses of raising a child. I am so torn right now with what decision to make. Please help with advice..
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  psychlady replied 2 years ago.

You have to base your decision to have this baby or not on what you and your partner want. Many people are doubtful of their parenting skills before they have children. In reality people develop these skills very quickly and end up being great parents. You should decide if you have a good support system, the involvement of the father, the financial resources you have, the strength of your own emotional and mental health, and your coping skills. The decision you make are totally your choice. Don't let anyone influence you. You know what you need to do. If it comes down to being able to learn to be a parent most people adjust well. Also consider what the father wants.

As far as your mental health it is very important right now to have someone you can talk to at all times. Your hormones are changing and you need the support of your therapist. Therapists always have coverage. They have people in their office or other offices that they depend on. See who this professional is. Also become more involved in any support groups focused on new parents or in people with mood disorders. This will give you other people to talk to. You need both others with the disorder and a professional during such a stressful time.

I wish you and your baby the best of luck

Please press accept; this is the only way I am compensated

psychlady, Therapist
Experience: Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.