Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

My daughter is taking soltus 150 mg/day now for last 1 year

Customer Question

My daughter is taking soltus 150 mg/day now for last 1 year and before that she was taking 300 mg/day for 3/4 years as symptomatic medicine as she was prescribed for post encephelytis treatment. There is no change in her behaviour or life style.She is now 30 yrs and it started in 2001 when she was at B'lore as a 3rd year engg student. Is there any alternative medicine ? Her behaviour is childish and period is stopped since last 4years although Gynechologist says there is no significant problem. Can she get one normal life ?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 4 years ago.

Soltus (Amisulpride) and Serenace (Haloperidol) are antipsychotic medicines which are mainly prescribed for psychotic symptoms due to any medical illness or in psychotic disorders such as Schizophrenia, Bipolar illness etc.

If psychotic symptoms are because of a medical illness such as encephalitis, antipsychotic medicines are only given for short time period to control them till the medical cause is treated and after that we usually discontinue antipsychotics.

You have mentioned that she is taking Soltus since last few years!

Is it possible for you to mention her past and current symptoms and also the diagnosis given by her psychiatrist if any?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i want to know any alternate medicine as it seems she has become imune to soltus - there is no improvement . If she doesnot take her condition deteriorates like restlessness increases and her life goes out of gear.She is having echolalia, OCD in addition to restlessness, no patience etc.
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your reply.

For symptoms such as OCD, restlessness, Soltus will not be of much help in my view.
For these problems, SSRI antidepressants such as Prozac (Fluoxetine), Lexapro(Escitapolram) or Zoloft (Sertraline) can be very useful in her case.

As an alternative to Soltus, there are several possible options such as Olanzapine, Risperidone, Aripiprazole and Quetiapine.

I think, a combination of SSRI antidepressant like Prozac and an antipsychotic such as Olanzapine should be a very good option on the basis of symptoms you have mentioned.

In addition, a benzodiazepine such as Clonazepam in low dose .25 mg can also help in controlling her restlessness and can be taken as and when needed.

Best wishes,

Please feel free to ask if you need clarification/more information. Kindly click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if you are satisfied with the answer. POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS are warmly appreciated