Mark Manley
Mark Manley, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. Over 15 years exp. Married 30 years and happy.

How can a person with a mental illness be convinced they have

Customer Question

How can a person with a mental illness be convinced they have a mental issue and need to get help? This person does not believe he has a mental illness, even though he clearly does. He thinks everyone around him has the problem, not him. He needs help.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Mark Manley replied 2 years ago.
The answer to your question depends on the mental illness. Please give me more details so I can provide you with my best answer.

Thank you.

Mark Manley
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, This person In question is a 35 year old male. He has had a previous diagnosis of bipolar years ago. He is not on any type of medication. He has had a total personality change within the past 3-4 years. He was in a good relationship with my daughter, they have 3 young children. He now is very sectetive, does not let my daughter know much about what he is doing. He is verbally abusive, he will say really mean things and within minutes act like he never said anything mean, and then accuses my daughter of being crazy and making things up when she comments about the things he said. He is staying out vary late and going to work early. He lies about everything, he thinks my daughter is poisoning him by putting poison in his food. He refuses to eat the food she cooks, even though she feeds the same food to the kids. He thinks people are following him. He hears sounds, not sure if he hears voices, but he creeps around like a spy thinking someone is inside the house or outside. He has a criminal history, and we believe he is doing criminal activity again, but do not know what. We are sure he is using drugs. He has a compusion for cleaning. His house is cleaner than some hospitals but he thinks it is filthy all the time, he cleans all the time. He is brainwshing the kids into believing their mother is a bad mom and does not take care of them right. He blames everything, I mean everthing is my daughters fault. He is hardly ever home but when he is is is verbally abusive. He needs help but he says it is my daughter that is crazy not him. A couple of the children have medical issues. He acts like he knows everything about everything and blames my daughter for their medical issues. He comes up with rediculous things for example if a kid falls down and gets hurt, it is her fault, "why did you not stop him from falling" He is still able to function in his job but he needs help. I am trying to get my daughter to leave him but he uses verbal threats to keep her afraid to file custody papers. He tells her her life will be hell if she leaves, he will make her life miserable, and he tells her he will tell lies, and pay people to lie and say she is a bad mom and abuses the kids, which she is a good mom and does not abuse them. He thinks he is a better parent and the court will give him custody over her. We need to get him help
Thanks for the additional information. This sounds so miserable for your daughter. I will be back to you tomorrow with a response.
Sincerely,
Mark Manley