psychlady, Therapist
Experience:  Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.

I have had a rough couple of years, with multiple doors closed

I have had a rough couple of years, with multiple doors closed in my face and a handful of diagnosis's with alcohol dependency along with it. I feel hopeless and just want to know what I can do now to make these things manageable so I can get moving forward
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  psychlady replied 4 years ago.

You have tried the remedies but nothing is ever hopeless. You have to review the work you have done and find your strength. It may be that the alcohol use is making a deeper issues and this could be a mood disturbance. If both aren't treated then your life may seem hopeless. You need to consider that your mental health care and your AA participation may need to be maintained for a lengthy period of time. This however doesn't mean that things are hopeless. Have a strong foundation in having a psychologist in place at all times. Also consider if medication is necessary to address these feelings of hopelessness. Maintain your AA participation along with this mental health care. When all of these components are working together at all times then you have a foundation. It should not be something you stop and start.

Also employ regular education on your part to better understand yourself. Any resource you can employ the better. Begin to form goals that will give you the confidence to begin your life again. Make one short term and long term goal that isn't overwhelming. When you accomplish them you will begin to gain your confidence. Life is about taking chances but you have to make it manageable. Make these goals reasonable and attainable.

Please press accept this is the only way I am compensated