Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Experience:  35 years experience counseling children and families

Can you be prescribed Vyvance and Ritalin at the same time

Can you be prescribed Vyvance and Ritalin at the same time?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Bonnie replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting JA with your question,

I have seen Vyvanse prescribed in the morning followed by a dose of Ritalin mid-day. I have not seen them precribed at the same time though.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am having a proplem with my ADD ever since I started taking meds again. I have been taking 60mg Ritalin a day- Three doses of 20mg. And I am also taking Effexor 225mg.

About 10 years ago I was taking 120mg of Ritalin and 40mg Paxil... That worked great for me! Now, my dotor tells me that I can only have 60mg a day because of FDA "sugested" limit. So I was wondering if there was a chance to be prescribed two different stimulent type medications?

I have a friend in Seattle that is prescribed 160mg of Ritalin a day. She said the doctor prescribes it "off lable"... Is that possible? If so, how would I go about discussing this with my doctor?

Prescribing it off label means he is not following the FDA guidelines. Your doctor sounds conservative and may be more agreeable to trying the long acting Vyvanse in the morning and the ritalin 30 for the other 2 doses. The worries about too high a dose are related to cardiac arrhythmias (irregular heart beat).