Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults

Mom died 5 months ago - - seeing therapist - - mom abusive

Customer Question

Mom died 5 months ago - - seeing therapist - - mom abusive historically -- I was the main caregiver -- have not grieved. Anxiety ++, trust 0, dissociating and isolating? Am I having a nervous breakdown?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Brad The Therapist replied 4 years ago.

Brad :

Thank you for your post. When did these symptoms first start? Have you experienced any trauma? How is therapy for you? What are your expectations from writing to this site? After your response, I may be able to provide some suggestions.

Symptoms started in September. Had to break in to her home and found her. Yes past childhood trauma. Just had mid November meory of funeral finally. Therapy feels slow and I can not feel my emotions. Expectations of this site is to see if I can get an understanding of what is happening to me and how to move forward.

What you are experiencing may be symptoms of Post traumatic Stress Disorder. However, it would be difficult for me to make a diagnosis through this forum. My suggestion at this point is to learn coping skills to handle your anxiety, understand what triggers your dissociation, and then create a narrative of the past trauma you experienced. Once you created your narrative, I encourage you to share this narrative with someone you feel should know what you went through. This process of re-experiencing and resolving past trauma is highly effective.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you