Dr John B
Dr John B, Psychologist
Experience:  PhD in Clinical Psychology, registered clinical psychologist.
40845682

Hello, I am writing because for several years I have been dealing

Hello, I am writing because for several years I have been dealing with anxiety without knowing. I did have a trigger to my anxiety with numerous deaths in my family in 2010, at that time i also was dealing with issue pertaining to my wife and my son. Who is from another woman, so you can immagine. I finally attempted to get help from my doctor who prescribed me alprozalam, which in my opinion helped me out alot. I was on the medication for a year, I discontinued taking the medicine on my own after my son decided to go back home to his mother. I was good without the medication for a year. now i am having problems again not consistant with the old problem.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr John B replied 4 years ago.

Sorry to hear of th situation. Can you provide some detail on what kind of anxiety symptoms you are experiencing and how these differ from earlier symptoms?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

well the symptoms im feeling now seem to be centered around lonelyness, because of the antisocial way my wife and i are experiencing/to aneonther. my wife and I are not relating to oneanother, we constantly argue for useless things simple discussion that turn into past issue pertaining to my son comming to live with us and his mother and my past relationship with he over 16 years ago. This was the big reason for me climing with axiety because i could never come home without arguing with my wife or trying to convince her that i am on her side but i also have to be fair to my son. You know doc now that im older the feelings i had when i was younger were all bottled up due to the death of my parents.

Expert:  Dr John B replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the extra information. If you see a direct link between the interpersonal conflict you are having with your wife and your anxiety then couples/marital therapy is the form of treatment that will be most beneficial. While an antidepressant will lift your mood it will not address the underlying problem and so chance of relapse will be high should you ever cease the medication. You may wish to recommence the anti-depressant for a shorter term effect but in the long term resolving the issues that are affecting you r mood and anxiety will be required. Also, if you think the loss of your parents is still impacting upon you then this would also need to be addressed by therapy.

Have you ever considered going into therapy and do you think you or wife would be willing to do so?