Mark Manley
Mark Manley, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. Over 15 years exp. Married 30 years and happy.
56283723

My mother is the ultimate narcissist. To the point that she

Customer Question

My mother is the ultimate narcissist. To the point that she has spent the last 20 years polluting my childrens' minds against me, supporting my ex-wife who abused my kids both emotionally and physically. She goes to her house, sits n has dinner with them knowing all this and backstabs me and my abilities as a father. My kids r now estranged and I feel absolute detestation. I feel great guilt because I have after 15 years of trying removed myself from all of them. I then drink when I get see guilty feelings and I seem to sabotage important days with my loving wife. I seem to want to feel pain and in doing so inflict it on the most important person in my life, the only person that has ever really loved ME! I need to loose my guilt. How?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Mark Manley replied 2 years ago.
When did your mother start acting spitefully towards you. Was it in your childhood, teens, or twenty years ago. I presume your mother is single, yes? Do you have siblings who have children? How does your mother behave with your sibs and their kids?

How old are your children?

Additional info will help me formulate my best answer for your question.

Thank you.
Sincerely,
Mark Manley
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I cannot remember her not doing it to me. I can remember her having me in tears when I was 7 because I would spend time playing with my friend and she would accuse me of doing that because I loved his mother more than her. I am a male of 48 years of age and my children are 22, 20, 18, 16.5
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I forgot to add my mother is married and has been for 49 years. She emotially abuses my father as well who is too weak to stand up to her. The same unless they are happy to gossip and badmouth people. I told her 20 years ago that I would no longer listen to her backstabign and if she had something to say about my sister or anyone else then she better say it to their faces or I would
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Again sorry I have a younger sister who has 2 kids
My heart goes out to you. Obviously you married and had kids with someone you were used to (your mother). They are two peas in a pod. The only thing worse than your childhood was/is your children's. You need to give them years to recover and even beginning to treat you kindly. Obviously you are a very strong person. I don't care if you are Super Man or super human you won't reach your relationship or other personal goals without a lot of remedial emotional work. How much individual therapy have you been to?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I see that my children have been deeply compromised and I have tried consistently to try and build a relationship but only on common courtesy and love. They r fine until I do some parenting. A few years ago my 3 youngest just upped and left home. They felt invincible and had no respect for any of us. I spoke with my ex and my parents and told them that this required tough love. We could not cave it. They of course said yes but it wasn't long before I was left out to dry! They backstabed me and do it as a sport now.

I do not speak with my parents anymore and have just had attempts at rekindling relationships with my 2 youngest, both girls, go up in flames. It was all good until I said 'enough is enough' you must take responsibility for your actions. They of course told me to f... Off I'll just stay with mum and grandparents.

My greatest concern now is that I have a magnificent woman as a wife who cares, truly cares for and I seem to sabotage important dates by drinking too much routinely. I need this to stop. I don't really know why I do it but I have been reading a lot and I see that it could be my guilt, why should I be happy? Why should I have fun. It is the guilt. It is going to destroy my marriage and i need unload baggage. Understandably my wife is saying, enought! I got pathetically drunk on Xmas day after my wife went to great lengths to get me away for all the crap. We went abroad and I didn't take the blackberry. But I still did it on Xmas, and she is asking 'how could I have done this' how can I love my demons more than her! I don't love them more I need to purge and I don't know how. Help

No therapy to date
You need to get your self into therapy post haste. Alcohol abuse is a symptom of your deeper issues. Go to therapy and start talking about your childhood. You need a therapist who understands the need for you to talk through all the abusive situations of your past and present. I say; "You have to feel it to heal it, if you don't heal it you repeat it and pass it on." In therapy, let your self feel the pain of your life past and present and let your self emote. I see you live down under. if you ever come to CA. USA. I would be happy to work with you. Also we can continue to chat on this thread as you go through the process of finding a good therapist to work with.

Are you good to go?

Sincerely,
Mark Manley

Please click on 'Accept' so I get credit for my time and expertise
Mark Manley, Therapist
Experience: Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. Over 15 years exp. Married 30 years and happy.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What do I do with my wife? How do I help her understand that I love her more than anything?cane shouldn't have to put up with my screwed up coping mechanisms? I've been doingbit to her routinely for years. I do not get hammered routinely, it is typically days that matter and when I get that 'f.. Off' message from my kids.

She hates the roullette wheel as she calls it. She never knows when I am going to do it. What do I tell her. We both like to have a social drink, and very much more often than not it is done in moderation. I think she has similar issues with her mother and has spoken about but does not admit to it.

I need some short term things I can do and say to help me he'll her understand as I look to therapy.
One thing you could do is show her our communication that indicates you are not only trying to change but you are reaching out for help to do so.

Another thing you could do is talk with her and see if she understands/agrees the alcohol abuse is symptomatic of deeper issues thus there is hope that this behavior will change as you address those issues in therapy.

Tell her the therapist you talked to on-line (me), said individual therapy dealing with your past, is imperative to your healing, and you intend to go after it and heal (not just mask) your wounds.

Tell her it took time for you to get messed up and it will take time for you to heal. Tell her you hope with all your heart she stays with you in spite of the pain you have caused her, but, you understand if she doesn't . Tell her you are committed to healing and becoming the husband she deserves.

You might consider giving up the indulgence of even social drinking for a while until you are on a better footing emotionally.

Does that give you what you need?

Sincerely,
Mark Manley

Mark Manley, Therapist

Hello Friend,
I came across some book titles that you may find to be helpful. If you already have these, great, if not here you go.

1. The Wizard of Oz and Other Narcissists: Coping with the One-Way Relationship by Eleanor Payson. This is a great book that will help you with the lack of self-esteem that living with a narcissist or being close with a narcissist will do to you. Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Wizard-Oz-Othim-Narcissists-Relationship/dp/0972072837/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1284329075&sr=8-2

2. The Object of My Affection is in My Reflection: Coping with Narcissists by Rokelle Lerner. This book is newer but is extremely clear and insightful and has helped people since it came out 2 years ago. Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Object-My-Affection-Reflection-Narcissists/dp/075730768X/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1284329075&sr=8-5

3. Trapped in the Mirror offspring of parents whose interest always towered above the most basic needs of their sons and daughters -- share a common belief: They believe they do not have the right to exist.

http://www.harpercollins.com/browseinside/index.aspx?isbn13=9780688140717

Go to the roots and don't cover the pain with alcohol.

Best of success to you and your lovely wife.

Sincerely,
Mark Manley