Dr John B
Dr John B, Psychologist
Experience:  PhD in Clinical Psychology, registered clinical psychologist.
40845682

Hi i have a question. Ive had fear of drug contamination for

Hi i have a question. I've had fear of drug contamination for a few months now. Most recently i had an incident where a coworker of mine was talking about drugs and how people around him smoke angel dust. With my fear of drug contamination i automatically worried that angel dust smoke from other people had gotten onto his clothes specifically his jacket he was wearing. So i asked him if he was around the dust the night before standing with people as they smoked it and he said yes. After he told me that i started freaking out that now the second hand smoke that is on his jacket was now contaminating my car as well as getting onto my clothes and jacket. Since the incident that happened saturday my jacket has been left in a corner in my house. However i grabbed the same jacket today impulsively because i was running late to work. while on the car ride to work, the whole time i kept thinking about the jacket and how there was angel dust on it from my coworker.I started believing that i was getting high as well as the belief that this was going to mess my brain up and make my current mental illness worse. I was very uptight about this jacket incident. I now also believe that everything in my car and some other clothes that i had on were contaminated. What should i do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr John B replied 2 years ago.

Sorry to hear of the situation. Is this the first time you have had trouble with fear of contamination of any kind? Have you ever had trouble with obsessive thoughts or compulsive rituals previouslyöy? Also, is there anything going o in your life at the moment that is causing high levels of stress/anxiety?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes this is the first time. Ive had obsessive thoughts in the past. And there is alawys some bit of stress in my life, mostly caused by my mental illness.
Expert:  Dr John B replied 2 years ago.
How is metal illness causing you stress? Do you suffer from other problems or is someone else in your life?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have paranoia thats relatively stable but gets intense at times. I have emotional problems and problems with anger. And the Ocd stuff.
Expert:  Dr John B replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thanks for the extra information. Your concerns around the potential contamination by angel dust sounds very much like a OCD type obsession ad if you have a previous history of OCD then I would be quite confident this what you are experiencing. Have you bee treated specifically for OCD previously?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes i have. But the whole drug contamination is new. And it is also very real to me i don't think its irrational thinking. I truly believe im being contaminated. I truly believe that my jacket has gotten angel dust on it.
Expert:  Dr John B replied 2 years ago.
Ok, you raise a excellent diagnostic point there in recognizing that you do not see the concern as irrational. It may be that the concern is more a manifestation of paranoia. You mentioned that your paranoia is relatively stable but does get intense at times. How do you usually become aware or recooks when your paranoia is becoming more acute?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
well in this case i usually don't relate my paranoia to this. My paranoia in the past has been an issue with intense anger towards people and the belief and experience that people judge me negatively wherever i go and the intense feeling of persecution and unliked by so many people.
Expert:  Dr John B replied 2 years ago.
As the likelihood of contamination seems extremely low and given your previous mental health history I would presume that what you are describing is symptom of illness. Fear of contamination is a classic OCD symptom but as you said your failure to acknowledge the irrationality of the fear would suggest it is something else. With a history of delusional thinking (paranoid type) it may be that the concerns are more a psychotic symptom despite the classic OCD theme. Delusional thinking and obsessive thinking are often not as clear cut as the diagnostic categories specify and so while it doesn't appear to fit neatly into either category my presumption would be that it is in fact OCD in nature or delusional in nature.
Dr John B, Psychologist
Experience: PhD in Clinical Psychology, registered clinical psychologist.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you suggest any advice on what to do about this problem or what behavioral things i can do.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you suggest any advice on what to do about this problem or what behavioral things i can do?