Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults
50717502

Can a person with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome live a long life?

Can a person with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome live a long life? Can they have healthy babies?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Brad The Therapist replied 5 years ago.

Brad :

Thank you for your question. The answer depends on how FAS was treated when the person was born. Of the person was raised in a nurturing environment, life expectancy is long. FAS only affects the brain develops so there are no impact of having babies...other than possibly transferring the gene of alcoholism if the mother or father has alcoholism

Customer:

I know he was treated as an infant and had very intense surgeries... the State of IL spent over $1 mil keeping him alive... he has scars all over his chest and wrists as a result. He grew-up in a household with ten brothers and sisters (all adopted). He wa treated for ADD but currently, takes no other medications. He is very uneducated about FAS and was unable to answer these questions.

Brad :

how old is he?

Customer:

Right now he is 22. I've known him for about 5 years and he has not had any major health issues. He battled depression around 18 from a break-up but I assume that is not pertinent to FAS... high school and depression find each other more often than not. He has not been hospitalized for anything since I've known him.

Brad :

Great! do you have any other questions?

Customer:

Is it likely that he will encounter any serious health issues because of this in his future?

Brad :

no

Brad :

all the damage FAS causes is during the pregnancy and is only on the brain. Luckily, infants brain has a tendency to recover quickly so there shouldn't be any issues in the future

Brad :

Do you have any other questions?

Customer:

No, thank you.

Brad :

Please consider pressing the "accept" button for me to receive credit

Brad :

Best wishes!