Penny Rayas, MFT
Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist
Experience:  I have 20 years experience in the mental health field

Sometimes i randomly get angry or depressed for no reason,

Sometimes i randomly get angry or depressed for no reason, i dont know if its related, but its usually after being bored for a couple hours, and even though theres plenty of stuff to do, none of it really interests me anymore. i would go out, but i dont have many friends anymore and its difficult for me to make new ones on account of my job. do you have any tips to help me off this boredom streak or just something to help me make my life seem like it has spark in it still? i would greatly appreciate any info or tips you have.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Penny Rayas, MFT replied 4 years ago.
Hello there and thanks for asking JA. Can you tell me when did those episodes of sadness started? I would also want to know a bit more about the stress level of your job.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the episodes started around feburary, roughly. well im a U.S. Marine infantryman, so pretty stressful. im not sure if it has anything to do with it, but around the time they started was when i had a bad breakup with my ex girlfriend, if that helps any.
Hello there, I want to say thanks for serving our country. Many men who serve our country have to face conditions of life and death or witness others being harmed. I think the everyday stress can take an emotional toll but also breaking up with your girlfriend can also be pretty dramatic. I know is hard to talk to people about this when you are in the Marines especially the infantry. You are serving others and when you serve you mind is busy but when you are not busy the painful thoughts come in. If you have not grieve your relationship loss, you can write letters when you have time and you do not have to send them. Just give yourself the time to express your feelings of grief on paper. Imagine that you ex is accepting those thoughts and eventually write a letter of forgiveness. Do you have any good friends in your unit? Sometimes seeing a counselor when possible can help you. One advice I can give you is to learn how to meditate. It is very easy. Just focus on your breath and visualise something you love like a pet or a baby, a place that you love. When you feel sad see the image in your heart and breath in and out until the feeling of boredom goes away. I think your idea of distracting yourself is a good one. Even if you don't feel like doing anything just doing without feeling like it will eventually make you feel better. One of the symptoms of depression is to feel sad and not enjoy the things you used to. I hope you can talk to a therapist please don't be afraid if those methods do not help.