Penny Rayas, MFT
Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist
Experience:  I have 20 years experience in the mental health field
59700337

my brother has been addicted to xanax for about a year now

my brother has been addicted to xanax for about a year now and he would take about 8 a day, he just could not get him to stop. he recrntly got arrested and is going through withdrawls, it is really bad. is there a medicacine that they could give him that would help him while he is going through the withdrawl? about how long does the withdrawl last?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Penny Rayas, MFT replied 2 years ago.

pennyrayasMFT :

Hello there

pennyrayasMFT :

I am sorry about your brother

pennyrayasMFT :

is he still in jail?

pennyrayasMFT :

how many mg's of xanax was taking?

Customer:

yes he has been there for a week now

Customer:

i dont know i just know it was the bars

pennyrayasMFT :

I think after a week he should be over the withdrawal

pennyrayasMFT :

but he probably has anxiety

Customer:

he had a seizure and he is halucinating

pennyrayasMFT :

yes that lasts usually for about 3-4 days

pennyrayasMFT :

they usually give him a long active benzo

pennyrayasMFT :

like clonapin

pennyrayasMFT :

then they lower the dose

pennyrayasMFT :

jails are not good in treating the symptoms

pennyrayasMFT :

he needs to talk to a social worker in jail

pennyrayasMFT :

I used to work in the jail as one

Customer:

i have read that withdrawls can last for a month, does that mean he could be halucinating and having siezure through out that month

pennyrayasMFT :

not usually

pennyrayasMFT :

but he can have some withdrawls such as anxiety for a long time

pennyrayasMFT :

if they continue he has to see the doctor in jail

pennyrayasMFT :

they can send him to the hospital

pennyrayasMFT :

they should also monitor his blood pressure

pennyrayasMFT :

It is scary that he had a seizure and also hallucinations

pennyrayasMFT :

The worst is probably over

pennyrayasMFT :

how long will he stay in jail?

Customer:

that is really good to hear weve been really worried we called today and they said he is still halucinating do you think that will just last a couple more days because he was on them so bad

pennyrayasMFT :

yes I think it will be a few more days

Customer:

we are trying to get him out as soon as possible possibly in the next couple of days

pennyrayasMFT :

you have to think of xanax as dry alcohol

pennyrayasMFT :

the same symptoms as alcohol withdrawal

pennyrayasMFT :

seizures, high blood pressure and hallucinations

pennyrayasMFT :

sometimes they treat hallucinations with antipsychotics just for a few days

pennyrayasMFT :

it is usually temporary

pennyrayasMFT :

he will come out of it

Customer:

ok so the worst of it happens in the beginning

pennyrayasMFT :

yes to my experience with my clients

pennyrayasMFT :

the worst is after 2 days

pennyrayasMFT :

however each person is different and taking xanax in the streets nobody knows the real dose

pennyrayasMFT :

I suggest that when he comes out of jail he sees a doctor

pennyrayasMFT :

I also suggest that you can the jail and see what treatment he is getting

Customer:

are there long term affects

pennyrayasMFT :

I am so sorry that jails are not treating people better

pennyrayasMFT :

I think sometimes he will have long term anxiety

pennyrayasMFT :

at worst I seen clients with a seizure disorder

pennyrayasMFT :

I don't see hallucinations as a long term symptom

pennyrayasMFT :

most of this is treatable

pennyrayasMFT :

anti-depressents, and seizure meds

pennyrayasMFT :

I am glad that he is alive and did not overdosed

pennyrayasMFT :

he will need to go to a treatment program for addiction

pennyrayasMFT :

to learn how to live life without any drugs

pennyrayasMFT :

I think one year is not a very long time

pennyrayasMFT :

but if he continues to use more damage can happen

Customer:

me too we just wanted some info and you really helped alot. thank you so much

pennyrayasMFT :

seeing a therapist for anxiety will help his anxietty

pennyrayasMFT :

happy hollidays

pennyrayasMFT :

your brother is lucky to have you

Customer:

happy holidays

Customer:

do you think it is a good idea for me to visit him tomorrow is so what do i tell him, because my mother went to visit him over the weekend and he was really out of it and it almost seemed like he didnt know who she was sometimes

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Good luck please let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think you can wait maybe for a day or two. He will be better by then I imagine.
Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist
Experience: I have 20 years experience in the mental health field