TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Kate, Sorry for writing so much lately. I just seem to be

Kate,

Sorry for writing so much lately. I just seem to be having a more difficult time than usual getting through the days.

I am extremely worried about my Dr.'s appt. tomorrow. I am afraid it won't go well. Then I will have to endure Christmas being even more unhappy and sad than I already am.

Do you think it is okay to mention this to her. I mean let her know how anxious I am about our session and how I want to talk about the incident at my car. Being sexually assaulted twice and then physically pushed into my car the other day is almost more than I can bear. I didn't let her know this. I was so calm and disconnected to it and she had to go, that I know she doesn't know how I really feel about it. I don't think I realized at the time how much it bothered me.

Thanks for any guidance on this.

Kathy

Kathy,

Yes, it is actually a very good idea that you tell her how anxious you feel. I imagine that she may already be aware of how you feel, but just letting her know will put it in the front of her mind and she will be able to talk to you knowing how you feel.

It is important that you try to bring this attack up at the very beginning, like we talked about. Tell her about how anxious you feel then read her what you wrote about how you feel and about the attack. Then let her help guide you through the rest. That is her job, to be there for you and help you find your way to feeling better. Be sure that she gives you some ideas on how to manage your feelings through the weekend so you have something to work with in case you feel any worse.

You can get through this. Keep in mind that she is there to help you and is on your side. I am too. We both care about how you feel.

Kate