Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Kate, I have followed one of your suggestions and got out

Kate,

I have followed one of your suggestions and got out of the house and went to a bookstore. I am enjoying a cup of tea and doing a little people watching.

Getting away from my home is good except I can`t seem to concentrate and keep my mind away from my last therapy session. I really felt brushed off. I can realize that I bring these type of situations on myself but still I feel sad about how she is able to go on with her work while I suffer silently.

I know how illogical this is but still feel frustrated and hurt. i go again tomorrow so I hope I can write down all that I`m feeling and then read or refer to it when I am with her.

I really feel violoated once again. I keep having bad things happen to me. I no sooner get over one thing, something else happens that is even worse.

It`s getting more and more difficult to think positive and not give in already to the sadness. Could I be doing more for myself. This is something I don`t have an answer to.

Kathy
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 2 years ago.

Hi Kathy,

I am glad to hear you were able to get out some. It's always good to have a change of scenery and give yourself time to feel connected to others.

I understand you feel hurt by your last session. It may have felt like your therapist didn't care, but I am sure that is not the case. She has to keep her appointments to a limit not because she wants to push you aside, but because she is needed and has to make sure everyone is cared for. Though you may imagine that she carries on with her day while you suffer, I am almost positive that is not the case. Most therapists I know think about the people they see and try to work on ways to help the next time they are together. Therapists tend to be very compassionate and their work is never 9 to 5 then go home and forget. If it is, they are not good therapists.

Do you feel that maybe you decided to bring up your attack at the end because you felt you deserved to feel rejected? It happens when you are used to feeling others do not see you as important. It becomes easier to set up rejection than worry about it coming out of the blue and blindsiding you. That may not be the case, but I thought I'd throw it out there to see if you felt it fit.

Sometimes people have a series of bad things happen to them and there is no rhyme or reason to it. Trying to understand how you could have experienced two attacks so close together is hard. But knowing that this is going to make you stronger is easier to focus on. You have help and you are using what you know and learn to help yourself climb out of the hole you feel you are in. You are not giving up, even with the second attack you keep going. It shows you are strong and resourceful. You are doing what you can. I know you want to feel better and having to wait until you work this through is hard. But you are already doing better than when I first met you. And you keep trying. You will get there.

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.