MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.

I am currently on 20mg of the generic form of Zyprexa. I was

I am currently on 20mg of the generic form of Zyprexa. I was prescribed this medicine because combined with my other anti-depresent prescriptions it is supossed to aid in lessening my symptoms of depression. It has worked. Though I am now concerned about taking the generic form will not be as effective. Is this possible or am I just worried about nothing.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.
Per FDA mandate, all generic medications have to be absorbed into the body at least 80% as well as the name brand medication, and the active ingredient (in this case, olanzapine) must be exactly the same as in the name brand medication. I think you have nothing to worry about at all.