Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Kate, It is 2:00 a.m. and I am still up. Mainly because

Customer Question

Kate,

It is 2:00 a.m. and I am still up. Mainly because I broke out into hives early this evening and had to go to the doctor's. Maybe stress caused it? Or an allergy to something else.

I know I should be sleeping and taking care of myself but I just can't seem to make my mind rest.

My appt. did not go at all how I expected. Most of it is my fault for bringing up the topic when we were already overtime. I had a chance at the beginning but wasted the time. Plus I did act like it was no big deal. But logically I know this is not true. But I know I gave the impression that it was fine.

In other words, I brought this on myself. I think I will try journalling tomorrow. It helps to put onto paper plus I can use it to read to her on Friday. It just seems so far away when I feel so bad. But this can't be helped.

Keeping busy or sleeping or my only options to make it until Friday. Sleeping the day away usually makes me feel worse.

I am very much afraid that given too much free time will cause me to act impulsively. I need an outlet so badly and although not the right outlet, it gives me immediate relief.

Kathy
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 3 years ago.

That is ok, Kathy. Bringing the attack up with your therapist is not an easy thing. It's difficult to find the words let alone a good way to bring the subject up. But if you do write it out, it will make it a lot easier. This time you are much more prepared.

There are many ways to relieve stress immediately. Here are some ideas:

Exercise- most people has some trouble considering this option because the thought of exercise sounds so unappealing, but exercise serves two purposes: one, it helps you get out your physical energy which gets pent up when you experience strong emotions. And two, you promote good chemicals in your brain (endorphines) which automatically lifts your mood. You can do anything from take a walk to punching the heck out of a punching bag. Picking an activity that you like helps motivate you.

Yelling into a pillow helps, talking to someone about how you feel, writing out your feelings are all ways to express your feelings. Sharing how you feel takes the burden off you and has stress reducing effects.

Guided imagery is also good. Imagine yourself floating through a cloud or in water. Picture yourself on a tranquil beach. Listen to the sounds of the ocean, taste the salt air and smell the breeze. By imaging yourself in these situations. your thoughts will help you relax and you will be more centered.

Listening to music is very helpful. It may sound simple, but music has the ability to change your mood, and you can choose the mood. Classical is relaxing, rock is energy producing, and sad music can help you get in touch with unexpressed tears.

If you are feeling overwhelmed by your need to act impulsively, try going out to be around people. Being with others makes you aware of more than just how you feel and brings you out of being too introverted. Plus being out makes time go faster and takes more energy to manage than being in, which can make you sleep better.

I hope you got some rest last night. Try to distract yourself as much as possible for the next few days. Take one hour at a time if you need to. Remember, this will pass.

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Kate.

I always appreciate your understanding in responding back to me and supporting me with your suggestions and guidance. There have been times that you have been my only source for help.

I will try some suggestions you gave above but I will need to sleep this a.m. for a bit because I only got 2 hours sleep before having to get ready and dressed to take my daughter to school. That was difficult to do.

I hope you are right in saying this will pass because right now I feel like I am carrying a very heavy burden with no light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks again.

Kathy

You're welcome. I am very glad to help.

Yes, this will pass. You may struggle for a while, but you are working on this and trying. And whenever someone even tries to help themselves, they do get better.

Kate