TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Kate, Is it normal to be able to talk about this incident

Is it normal to be able to talk about this incident in an almost robotic manner. I don't seem able to comprehend what happened. I can tell you the details without getting upset. I feel disconnected from the incident like it was no big deal.

Kathy, it is very normal to react the way you are describing. Your mind disconnects in a way from the incident to protect you from taking in the full force of what happened to you. You can compare it to seeing a traumatic event or being in an accident. Your mind shuts down for a while to allow the trauma to seep in slowly allowing you to time to adjust to what occurred.

Any type of threat to your life or to someone else's is going to be too hard for you to accept for a while. That is why I suggested you might want to take it slow today and treat yourself well. You are probably in shock and need time to adjust. Your feelings will come back and that is when you will need as much support as you can get so you can work through the effects of what happened. It may seem overwhelming, but you already have the tools in place from working through the previous trauma so you are going to be able to rely on them to help you cope with how you respond to this attack.