TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I am a 32yo male, working as an electrician and as a child

I am a 32yo male, working as an electrician and as a child I was diagnosed with having ADD, mild Aspergers and OCD. I now tend to only suffer from OCD. I also suffer from hypertension and sleep apnea (caused by obesity) which are not treated. I am on minimum dose Zoloft of 50mg.

Lately I have been feeling really out of it, like just going about my daily business as an automation without emotion except fear. I feel like I am in a dream and my memory is shot. I still seem to be able to carry out my job but the whole time everything felt so foreign and weird and I was yawning a lot. The feelings of being in a dream are very frightening and I just don't feel my self. I have been attempting to diet as well, but only a half hearted attempt. I feel like my consciousness is impaired or dulled somehow and it really feels like a serious neurological problem. I haven't had an MRI for 4 years. I went to the GP an hour ago but he said it probably wasn't a neurological condition and he was more interested in treating my slightly blocked ear canal. What could possibly be causing this horror and what is the best course of action for me to take to get well? I am so scared, I thought I was over all this.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Mark Manley replied 4 years ago.
I have a question for you. Can you be seen by a Psychiatrist? If so when?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can but I imagine I would wait a few days due to short notice
Here is why I would recommend you make the appointment.

A specialist will should help you determine if it is time for a medication change or adjustment.
A specialist will know the latest medication options.
A specialist will understand your symptoms from a mental health perspective.
A specialist will help allay your fears by assuring you that your symptoms will likely respond to a medication change or adjustment.

Your symptoms on not unusual and will likely be easily treated.

Also as time goes by you may want to gradually research and educate yourself on holistic therapies i.e. (bio-identical hormone replacement therapy, diet, nutrition, exercise, vitamin and mineral supplementation, detoxification etc.) for all symptoms you have mentioned above. Your mainstream medical doctors whether they be GP or Psychiatrists will not likely be well versed in these treatment modalities as they are not taught in medical schools.

It is not emergent that you see the psychiatrist but be seen at your earliest opportunity so you can get your symptoms addressed.

Best of success to you.
Mark Manley
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Answer was very generic and did not even address or mention any of my symptoms
Sorry I wasn't able to give you what you were looking for. I believe you will have to have an in office exam and consult to get more detailed information about your condition. I will forward your question to another expert at JustAnswer to see if they can provide any more detail.

Thank you,
Mark Manley
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you may be suffering from an anxiety disorder. Feeling fear that has no obvious cause is usually anxiety based. Since you are already diagnosed with OCD, which is an anxiety based disorder, you may have developed your fear from there.

People who have anxiety/fear often describe feeling like they are in their own head, not connected to the world. They feel things look strange and that they do not feel real. This is a symptom called depersonalization.

You could have also developed a depersonalization disorder. This occurs when you feel disconnected from the outside world on a regular basis, not just once in a while like most people feel. Although this is not as likely as having anxiety, it still should be ruled out.

Whether you have anxiety or depersonalization disorder is best determined by a therapist. Seeing a therapist can help you find out why you are feeling this way and what your diagnosis may be. Therapy can also provide a way for you to talk out your concerns and find ways to cope. To find a therapist, talk with your doctor about a referral. Or you can search on line at

Until you find out what your diagnosis might be, you may want to also see your doctor about your sleep apnea and hypertension. Both of these health problems can make whatever you have worse because they create similar symptoms to emotional disorders. For example, the lack of sleep you are getting from the sleep apnea could also account for your feeling of being disconnected from the outside world. It is important that you rule out what is caused by your physical health before you consider what is caused by your emotional health.

I hope this has helped you,

TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.