Suzanne, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  LCSW, RN. Mental Health, Relationship & Parenting issues.EMDR, Hypnosis.

I am depressed. 12 years ago my life was great, but then I

I am depressed. 12 years ago my life was great, but then I lost hearing due to brain tumor, got prostate cancer, been bankrupted twice, had one house foreclosed on, lost two cars due to an inability to pay for upkeep, changed careers, gotten into a fight with my siblings, can barely make my bills. I'm isolated anxious and can't get back on my feet. I'm desperate and I have no credit, etc.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Suzanne replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for bringing your question to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about all that you've gone through. What question would you like us to answer?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What can I do to get better? I need to function somehow. I am either characterological (which scares the hell out of me) or I have Aspergers ( which makes more sense, but I don't want to make excuses).
Expert:  Suzanne replied 4 years ago.

The depression that you're going through is a natural sequence to a terrible list of events. The fact that you're having a hard time dealing with things in no way suggests Aspergers or a character defect. Even if you do, you can still have a depression.

Depression is most effectively treated with a combination of medication and therapy. The combination of the two is more effective than either one alone. Signs of depression include a lack of energy, isolating, loss of enjoyment in things. Anxiety ofter accompanies depression, and there are several antidepressants which will also help the anxiety.

First: go to your doctor and get back on an anti-depressant, as soon as possible.

Next: schedule an appointment with a therapist. If you don't have insurance, check your county mental health agency for resources for those without insurance.

Then: make yourself go out of your house at least once a day, and be around people. Isolation allows your mind to wander to the negative, without reality-checking your thoughts. Human beings need other people. Find somewhere to volunteer or to interact with others in some way.

The thing is, you can't wait until you feel like doing these things--you do them now, despite how you feel.