Mark Manley
Mark Manley, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. Over 15 years exp. Married 30 years and happy.

Ive been seeing my GP for a couple years for anxiety, and have

Ive been seeing my GP for a couple years for anxiety, and have been taking Effexor. It helped initially but it doesnt seem to have the same effect now. After having two kids (I went off when pregnant/breastfeeding), and with lack of sleep with two little ones, plus regular life stressors, my anxiety/insomnia is worse, and depression as well. Ive also been recently diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. My doctor wants me to take sleeping pills to try to help insomnia, as well as keep up with my cpap. But the sleeping pills make me groggy and I already feel super tired all day. I feel like I need something to help me get some energy so I can do more things, get exercise etc, and not feel like Im just dragging myself around all day. I was reading online, and I wonder if I also have ADHD, or if some of those symptoms are simply related to mood and lack of sleep. My GP is hesistant to refer to a psychiatrist as there are limited supply here, but I think I really need one to ensure correct diagnoses, and correct medication. I bought some Modafinil online and it does seem to help, but obviously I shouldnt be doing that. So frustrating!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Mark Manley replied 4 years ago.
Would you like to discuss some holistic approaches i.e. hormonal balancing, nutritional supplements, herbs? If not just click on Re-list and another expert will pick up your question.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did see a Naturopath recently for a few months and did not see any changes. This is the third naturopath Ive seen over the years as well. But, no one has focused (at least obviously to me) on hormonal balancing. What are your thoughts?
I think you should look into the work of Dr. Brownstein who claims that 60% or more of the population suffers from insufficient thyroid hormone levels. The lab tests normally ordered don't detect the deficiency and so many people are not properly diagnosed or treated. When patients receive thyroid hormone as a medication it is usually not a natural type and therefore does not fully address all the needs of the body. I have seen very good results with natural bio-identical thyroid hormone, adequate iodine intake (normal diet including table salt is not adequate) and other natural bio-identical hormones. In my opinion the premier doctor in this field is XXXXX XXXXXstein MD. You can get more information at
By and large the medical field is not aware of the need for and benefits of proper hormone balancing via natural bio-identical hormones coupled with healthy diet, supplementation etc. You will mentally have to swim against the stream a bit to appreciate this approach but I recommend you do the homework and check it out. In the mean time I also recommend that you see a specialist (psychiatrist as you mentioned above) to assist you with your current medication regimen. Best of success to you. Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX
Have I helped you sufficiently? Please let me know. Thanks for using JustAnswer. And thanks for making sure I get compensated for my time and expertise by clicking on 'Accept'.
Mark Manley