Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

I am writing a fictional novel. The scene I am writing takes

I am writing a fictional novel. The scene I am writing takes place in the early to mid 80's. The character I'm writing about is a woman who has suffered a miscarriage in the first trimester. Is it possible that she would suffer from depression similar to post partum depression? If so, would she be placed under medication in the early to mid 80's?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.

To answer your question, she might very well have depression, although it is unclear how similar to postpartum depression it would be: Postpartum depression may take several days to occur, while depression due to a miscarriage would likely start pretty much right at the time of the miscarriage. Both can be severe, though, and their actual symptoms could be similar.

If she were to be placed on an antidepressant medication, most likely it would have been a TCA (tricyclic antidepressant; named for its molecular structure), such as Elavil/amitriptyline, Pamelor/nortriptyline, Sinequan/doxepin, Norpramin/desipramine, etc.

A trivia bit is that the name "Sinequan" comes from the Latin phrase "sine qua non,", meaning an "essential part," or a "an indispensable part."
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience: Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you! I hit the accept button before I could ask these follow up questions :(

Would these medications be the ones that might be used in the early to mid-80's? If so, would any of them cause her to behave in a sexually reckless manner or would her promiscuity manifest itself as a result of her depression?

Thanks again!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I am satisfied with my original answer, I just would like to have an answer to my follow up question as soon as possible so I could finish this section of my project. I will not be near a computer for a couple of hours in about an hour.

Below is the whole exchange I had with your expert who, I repeat I was not disatisfied with:

Optional Information:
Gender: Female
Age: 54

Already Tried:
I am doing research for a fictional novel.
Response:

Follow up question:

Thanks again!
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 2 years ago.
Yes, these were drugs available in early 80's. Sometimes these medications can unmask or even induce the manic phase of a manic-depressive illness, one major symptom of is sexual promiscuity.
Good luck with book.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Fantastic! So, just to be sure that I am using terminology appropriate for the time period in which this story takes place, the illness would have been called "manic-depressive" during that time and not bi-polar?

Did we know then what could be the cause of manic-depression/bi-polar disease? (I'm not sure we now even now).

Thank you!

It likely would have been manic-depressive; I am not sure bi-polar was in popular use at that time. I trained in 80's and I think both were used, but M/D most common.
At this time, our best theory is manic-depression is a genetic related disorder, but no specific gene evidence. Runs in families. Most commonly, especially before 80's generation, people masked it using alcohol. A lot of M/D were mistaken for alcoholics. Back then, we were clueless for most part, weaker evidence for any theory. Lithium was treatment of choice. Sometimes ECT. Most commonly, it went undiagnosed or mistaken for schizophrenia.
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience: Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is very helpful! Thank you so much! I will probably have additional questions for another character in this story,and will look to ask for you specifically.

Have a happy holiday!