MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.
45841547

I been taking 1mg clonazepam at night for about 4 years.

I been taking 1mg clonazepam at night for about 4 years. My doctor wants me to stop taking it. He gave a taper schedule to take 1/2 tab clonazepam for 10 days and then take 1/2 tab every other day for ten days and than stop. Will I have any withdrawal symptoms? I also take 30 mg of Paxil
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.

To answer your question, yes, you will have withdrawal symptoms. Even if you went down to 3/4 of a tablet for a while and then 1/2 tablet for a while, etc., you would still have withdrawal symptoms. Some degree of withdrawal symptoms after taking clonazepam regularly for several years is inevitable.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so what is best way to taper off this medicine. What do recommend to your patients?
I would recommend a slower taper; you've been on it for 4 years, so there shouldn't be a rush. That said, you will still have withdrawal symptoms, even tapering off of it more slowly, but they can be minimized. I'd suggest going down to 0.75mg daily for a 2-4 weeks, then 0.5mg daily for 2-4 weeks, then 0.25mg daily for 2-4 weeks, and then stopping it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So going .5 is too much
It's not too much to do safely, but you will be more anxious dropping it down that much.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So I take 1mg pill and cut it 4 pieces and than take 3 pieces
Yes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just have one more question. Should I do it 2 weeks or for the full 4 weeks . I was thinking two weeks than changing the dose again
Two weeks is fine, but it will be easier going for four weeks. You could see how you're feeling after two weeks, and make your decision then. It's really your preference.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I hope my dr give more refills to completed tapering
Glad I could be of help.