Mark Manley
Mark Manley, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. Over 15 years exp. Married 30 years and happy.

My friend cheated on her husband, They are both my friends

My friend cheated on her husband, They are both my friends and are on my phone plan. He wants phone records. Do I give them to him?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Mark Manley replied 4 years ago.
No you don't give them to him. It is not your responsibility to work out their problems. It is their responsibility. If he says he must have them so he can know if she is telling the truth, then you say you hope they can learn to be trustworthy and to trust each other but they will need to learn this with out the benefit of the phone record. Infidelity is a problem, but it is not a problem that can be solved by phone records. Couples in this situation often benefit from marriage counseling where they can talk things out, learn new skills, and develop a healthy relationship. Every time they try to involve you in their marital problems tell them something like "I care about both of you and I hope you will both do what ever you need to do to learn to be happy together." Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX
Please click on 'Accept' so your expert gets credit for services provided.