TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I found child pornography on my husbands computer. I turned

I found child pornography on my husbands computer. I turned it over to the police and we have gone through the legal system. He received a felony conviction, and is currently a registered sex offender, on probation, and attending various defferment classes. He doesn't think what he did was that big of a deal, and feels he is the victim and people are over reacting. My question is do you think he is a threat. We have 2 children 14 and 15 yrs old. They claim and I believe them that he has never sexually abused them or anyone they know. I'm going to try to stay in the marraige 4 more years, but feel maybe I should just go sooner. He makes my skin crawl.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

If you have any doubts about your husband being safe, either with you or with your children, it is very legitimate for you to leave the marriage now. Anytime you live in fear, it is ok to do what you need to do to feel safe again.

There is no way to tell for sure if your husband is a threat. But if your husband sees nothing wrong with what he did, then there is no guarantee that he won't do this again. And there is no guarantee that he won't come after the children, though that is unlikely since he has not done so already.

To help you and the kids deal with what has happened, you may want to consider counseling. To find a therapist, talk with your doctor about a referral. Or you can search on line at

I hope this has helped you,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
do you think he is a pedophile

He could be. When someone views and finds child pornography stimulating, the chances that they find real life child abuse acceptable increase, especially when they see nothing wrong with viewing child porn. Many of the people who enjoy child porn also participate so it is feasible that your husband may be abusing a child outside of your family. It is also possible he was abused himself as a child.