TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Kate, I am very upset. I just recalled a horrible memory

I am very upset. I just recalled a horrible memory from my past. I don't know why now but it deeply disturbs me. I can't stop crying. I don't know what to do.

I will try to write it down. I feel like such a baby that it hurts me this much. But I can't help it.

I am glad you contacted me. I am sorry this has hurt you so much. It can feel like you are being re traumatized when you recall something that was painful from your past. But keep in mind, you have already lived through whatever you are recalling. You have survived. This memory cannot hurt you and you are safe. You are in a different place, with different circumstances and you have a lot of support now. You are no longer vulnerable. You have grown as a person in strength, knowledge and experience. This is not the same.

It's a good idea to write your memory and feelings down. You need to get this out of your head and onto paper. It is easier to look at and examine when you can see the words and distance yourself a little from what you feel. Plus you will be able to take this to your therapist so she can help you through it, without you having to repeat it again.

You are handling this so well. This is good progress, Kathy!

I'm here if you need to talk,