MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.

I have been seeing a phychiatrist for the purpose of review

I have been seeing a phychiatrist for the purpose of review for about 6 or so sessions over approximately 8 months.
During this time we had what she called a misunderstanding which caused me to not be aware of a behaviour which consequently saw me lose many friends and one friend in particular who has continued to say horrible and incorrect things about me - we both grew up in the same small town and it has affected my parents relationships with families in the town, not to mention caused me enourmous humiliation, anger, stress, and grief.
Yesterday was my last appointment with the psychiatrist before she discharged me. Near the end of the appointment she apologised for the 'misunderstanding earlier in the year, but that i couldn't change what had happened now' (the fact that i had lost many friends including a very significant friendship).i didn't even really understand why she was apologising or exactly what kind of misunderstanding we had in the first place. I sought clarification and got nothing but deflections. I am so confused and upset. Her attitude seemed very hurtful and unfair. I feel she was negligent in her duty to help me understand and correct my behaviour but failed to guide me to do so before it was too late. I have also been seeing a PHYCHOLOGIST for about 4 years.
Can i have another appointment with the psychiatrist, WITH ANOTHER DOCTOR PRESENT, to get some answers to why she apologised and what she was apologising about? If i don't understand it how can i explain it to anyone else, let alone myself?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.

I can see that this would be confusing. I don't see any reason why you couldn't request another appointment with her, especially if you state that it is for the purpose of getting some closure on this. My guess is that your psychologist would support this and could perhaps facilitate your getting another appointment.

Whether or not the psychiatrist would allow another physician to be present is different. My guess is that most psychiatrists wouldn't allow that because it's a somewhat unusual request to have another physician present (friend/husband/sibling is more "usual"), and it might feel somewhat adversarial - almost like you want to have another physician there as an advocate or a witness or something.

Does this make sense?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank your for taking the time to answer my question.

We spoke on the telephone and although she did clarify for me what she was apologising for, I am still confused at how this could have happened with three professionals involved.

My understanding was that their role is to guide our behaviour and help us understand our behaviour better in order to stop distructive patterns we may not be aware of? This seemed to have happened too late.

I agree it would make sense to have a friend/sibling/partner attend an appointment, but do not have anyone to accompany me.

I see. You could always ask the psychiatrist about having another doctor present, then.