TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Kate, I am having a very bad night and am not sure what

I am having a very bad night and am not sure what to do with myself. I did see my therapist today and it went okay. But I am feeling such an incredible amount of sadness right now and do not know how to handle it.

My daughter went to a friends place for a while so I don't have her to distract me. And she is a very good distraction for me. I know I should focus on other things that make me happy but I just can't seem to move.

I don't even know why I feel so bad but I do. No real question here but sometimes it just helps to write to you. It makes me feel less alone.

Hi Kathy,

I am sorry you are feeling so sad. It is hard when you feel there is no way to escape from your sadness.

Changing your thoughts can help. Although your daughter is away, thinking about that can make you feel worse. Even if you feel very alone because of it, you are very cared about. Your daughter may not be with you but she is still thinking of you. Other people in your life care about you. I care, your therapist cares and anyone else helping you now cares as well. Think of those who are in your life. Allow yourself to be wrapped in that care, like a hug.

It may be hard to move but if you do something small, it may help. What comforts you? Tea, a hot shower or bath, something to eat, etc. Take it slow but push yourself to try to do something.

If you like chocolate or you can tolerate caffeine, try a small amount. Both of these things can improve your mood and chocolate can increase endorphins, which will lift your mood.

Try focusing on anything outside yourself. If you focus on your feelings, you will feel worse. Do something intellectual such as read a book, watch TV, play a computer game.

Write out how you feel in a journal or even on a piece of paper. Sometimes the act of putting your thoughts on paper can make them less intense.

No matter what, keep in mind you are not alone. No one may be with you now, but that does not mean no one cares. I will keep you in my thoughts (and if it is ok, my prayers) tonight. Remember, this will pass and you will feel better. It's only a matter of time.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your quick reply. I will try to move and write down some of my feelings in my journal. I feel so empty inside and I do often forget that people do care about me. I just think that it doesn't matter if I am around or not which may not be true.

Keeping me in your prayers is wonderful and very thoughtful. Thank you.

I will try reading as well. I do know these things but sometimes I get so wrapped up in my sadness that I cannot think clearly on what to do to help myself. Even my daughter will be home soon to tell me all about her night. I need to keep her in mind when I feel so down.

Often I feel so overwhelmed that I cannot do what might be good for me. But I am fortunate that you were around to remind me of these things.

Thanks again.

You're welcome Kathy! It is very easy to get lost in the depression and sadness and forget everything else. I am glad you are feeling better. I'm here if you need to talk.