Suzanne
Suzanne, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  LCSW, RN. Mental Health, Relationship & Parenting issues.EMDR, Hypnosis.
32195369

Hello Im not sure what type of depression my son is suffering

Hello I'm not sure what type of depression my son is suffering but I think it maybe social anxiety- and I would like to know how I can help him. He says he has had feelings like this since he was 17 now 21. He feels anxious about meeting people. I have given him some books to read susan jeffers "feel the fear and do it anyway" and robert holden" shift happens". He his now isolating himself in his room but does listen to music but I feel spends a lot of his time inside his head. I've suggested he listens to some comedy but says that's only a distraction. I've mentioned that he should keep trying to be positive with some everyday positive affirmations to retrain his negative subconscious andjust go to functions and say to himself it will be ok. Better to go than to isolate yourself.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Suzanne replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for bringing your question to JustAnswer.

Although the self help methods you mentioned, especially EFT, work well for mild cases of anxiety, it sounds like your son has a major depression. Isolation is one of the main symptoms of major depression. This is caused by an imbalance of serotonin in the brain, and responds well to anti-depressant medication.

In addition, giving him the opportunity to talk to a therapist would give him the best chance at a rapid recovery, as the combination of therapy and medication is proven to give the fastest relief from depression. Here's information from the Mayo clinic on depression: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/depression/DS00175

For a young man in the time of his life when it's normal to spend a lot of time with friends to chose to isolate in his room, is quite serious. Please make him an appointment with a therapist, who can then recommend someone to prescribe anti-depressants.Here's a link to help you find a therapist in your area. http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_search.php