AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist
Experience:  Dr. W. D. Nicholas will help you find solutions to life's challenging issues.
55589990

I am a follower of Christ, but I am no longer attending church

Customer Question

I am a follower of Christ, but I am no longer attending church because I fell in love with my pastor. He's married with children and I truly respect his wife. I miss seeing many of the members there, but I don't know what to tell them when they tell me they miss me.What should I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  AgapeDoc replied 5 years ago.

AgapeDoc :

Thank you for contacting Just Answer...

AgapeDoc :

I have read your question a couple of times and I think I can help you here....

AgapeDoc :

It is my intention to answer your question and exceed your expectations. If you are satisfied with my efforts, will you click on the green accept button?

AgapeDoc :

OK... perhaps you are away from your computer. Let me try and answer with what you have posted so far..

AgapeDoc :

First of all, you have done the right thing to stay away from this man that you have developed an attraction for - or even as you said, "fallen in love with".

AgapeDoc :

The Bible is clear that we should flee from temptation - as opposed to staying around trying to handle things - which eventually leads to falling. So I commend you for this.

AgapeDoc :

Next, it's not uncommon for a church member to develop strong feelings for a pastor - so don't feel like you are alone.

AgapeDoc :

Additionally, let me point out that it is not a sin to be tempted - even though we can develop guilt for being tempted, we should rejoice in surrendering to the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

AgapeDoc :

Having said that.....

AgapeDoc :

While it is wise to keep your distance from this pastor, it is not wise to stay away from church. May I suggest a few options.....

AgapeDoc :

* Change your membership - you don't have to change denominations (or you can, depending on your beliefs)

AgapeDoc :

* Keep your membership, but visit other churches often and attend your home church "occasionally"

AgapeDoc :

I would start with one of these options. Once you make these changes, you will likely get relief from what has been tormenting you.

AgapeDoc :

Once again, let me say that you did the right thing and it shows strength to reach out for help as you have done here.

AgapeDoc :

If you have more questions, please post them here. However...

AgapeDoc :

If you are satisfied with my efforts, please don't forget to click on the green accept button.

AgapeDoc :

God bless,

Customer:

Thank you so much for your suggestions and your words of encouragement. Anything else?