TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I am a slob. I absolutly hate to clean. Growing up cleaning

I am a slob. I absolutly hate to clean. Growing up cleaning was a punishment. I think that is why i hate to clean. I havent taken out the garbage in about a week, dishes havent been done in 2 (and i have a dishwasher) I never pick up the living room vacume, clean the bathroom, my room or the cat box when it is absolutly necessary. My BF hats this about me and i tell him that he dosent pay rent so he needs to do his share. I am using that as an excuse not to clean. Well he went on strike and hasnt cleaned in 2 weeks. I am not motivated in other areas of my life either, i am in school and just cant seem to find the time to do any homework. I have started to slack off on my doctors appointments. A little about me. I am a 26yo male. I was ADD/ODD growing up. At the age of 18 i joined the navy and was discharged with a personality disorder NOS after one session with a psycologist. About a year later i joined the army after i had several mental health eximanitions and said i was a healthy young man. In the army i went to iraq and got injured. (road side bomb) was in a coma for 6 weeks and broke my back. I am not in a wheel chair i can walk but in a good amount of pain. I have been diagnosed with PTSD Depression Anxiety ADHD and auditory halucinations. I have high blood pressure and performance issues.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you may be depressed. Although I do agree with you that being punished as a child by having to clean would cause you to see it as something to dislike intensely, your feelings seem to go beyond just disliking chores.

You are living with constant pain and have PTSD, which includes feelings of depression and hopelessness. You may not have enough symptoms for a depression diagnosis, but it is worth being evaluated by your therapist/doctor.

ADHD can also cause difficulty with motivation, as can changes in your life or overwhelming expectations. Alcohol and drug use can also affect mood and therefore motivation.

Taking steps to overcome your lack of motivation involve figuring out why you feel as you do then addressing it. So for example, if you feel you may be depressed, therapy and/or medication may help. Support can also make a difference. Also, try making lists of what you need to do then taking only one step at a time. Limit yourself to accomplishing one thing. You may find that when you try to limit yourself, you actually motivate yourself to accomplish your goals.

I hope this has helped you,

Kate

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am on abilify and I honestly don't seem depressed. Just lazy.

Although your laziness can still be caused by ADHD, you may want to consider hiring a motivation coach. Here is a link to help you:

http://www.lifecoaching.com/pages/choosing_a_life_coach.html

Kate