TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I was diagnosed with Depression 4 years ago. I am taking 40

I was diagnosed with Depression 4 years ago. I am taking 40 mgs of Lexapor a day along with 20mgs of wellbutrin. I feel very empty, lonely, with no feelings for anything or anyone. my marriage has been very bad for several years and there is no closeness or even a relationship. I have lived with this for the past years and am in no danger of hurting myself only because I would not want to leave that stigma to my children, so I struggle to keep functioning. if it weren't for my children I dont know what I would do. I have no family and my children are grown and have their own lives. I would love to feel good again.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

I am not sure what you have been diagnosed with in the past, but it sounds like you have Major Depression. This disorder is characterized by feelings of hopelessness and worthlessness, lack of energy or motivation, thoughts of death and/or suicide and trouble concentrating. It is common to feel there is no hope and no way out.

You mentioned trying therapy. How helpful was it? If you did not feel it helped, you may want to try again. Often, it takes a few tries to find a therapist you feel can help. Just as you don't settle for the first doctor you see, searching for a therapist who is a good fit is the same. To have a better chance at finding a good therapist, ask your doctor for a referral. Or you can search on line at

You may also need a change in your medication. Medications are helpful to ease the symptoms but the vary in their effectiveness. Each person has their own body chemistry and what works for one may not work for another. Also, once you take medication for a while, your body becomes accustomed to it and you either need an increase in dosage or you need to try a new medication.

Motivation is a very difficult symptom of depression. It often keeps people from helping themselves and reaching out to others. But support and self help are vital in helping you overcome depression. Consider support groups, either on line or in person. People who are experiencing the same symptoms as you are can offer invaluable support, ideas and companionship to help you feel better. Also, working on your depression at home can supplement your therapy or other treatment. Here are resources to help you get started:

Once you are able to reach out, you will start to feel better. Let others support you and offer help. You need it right now.

I hope this has helped you,