Suzanne
Suzanne, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  LCSW, RN. Mental Health, Relationship & Parenting issues.EMDR, Hypnosis.
32195369

Hello, I have suffered from extreme Auditory & general Hallucinati

Hello, I have suffered from extreme Auditory & general Hallucinations when i was a young girl (5years old) which were frequent for about 5 years or so.
For example; seeing plants growing from walls & hearing voices laugh at me.
My parents had no idea about it.
I was clearly awake. They put it down to nightmares & stress due to dealing with their divorce.
I have always struggled in school.
Through high school teachers & tutors says I found it hard to focus.
To them i came across as airy-fairy & dreamy & even drunk!
My friends pointed out to me now, back in high School - I spaced out during conversations.
I tried so hard & I had no progress & due to this caused me stress.
Which further caused depression.
My parents thought i was suffering due to their conflicts I was exposed to due to divorce when i was young & throughout School I spoke to many Psychologists.
At the time I believed that this was the underlying problem but at the same time I was at peace with that issue but still 'foggy' & depressed.
I don't get so much vivid hallucinations as frequently or intense now but i worry about getting them again.
I haven't taken any explicit drugs or medication in my life apart from; the pill, iron supplements, Panadol, and a low dose antidepressant which i can't remember the name of, for a short period of time.
I'm not as depressed anymore, I regularly exercise & i have a controlled high protein, low saturated fats & low refined sugars & carbs which has helped.
But I still suffer from low energy & bad concentration.
I don't want to go to my doctor and sound crazy & paranoid.
Should I just forget about it?
Kind Regards,
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Suzanne replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for bringing your question to JustAnswer.

You are really following a good regime to keep yourself healthy! But there's no reason to go through life with low energy and bad concentration. You might want to ask your MD to check your thyroid, as low thyroid can sap your energy and mental energy. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hypothyroidism/DS00353

If everything is fine medically, I'd suggest finding a psychiatrist you feel comfortable with. A doctor who specializes in mental health is not going to be shocked by your having hallucinations--he will be used to working with folks who have them. Here's a directory to help you find one.

http://www.healthdirectory.com.au/Medical_specialists/Psychiatry/search Your family MD may also be able to refer you, which is often the best way of getting an appointment.

The fact that you realize that you have hallucinations and worry about getting them again is actually a sign of health. A person with severe mental illness who has hallucinations believes they are real. Don't let embarrassment keep you from getting the right meds and help to be able to relax and enjoy your life!