Suzanne, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  LCSW, RN. Mental Health, Relationship & Parenting issues.EMDR, Hypnosis.

Hi - I am 51 years old and thinking of seeking counseling

Hi - I am 51 years old and thinking of seeking counseling to resolve a childhood trauma I experienced some 40 years ago that led to innapropriate behavior. I was not molested or abused, but it was an event that caused all kinds of confusion and stress. I gave up those behaviors a long time ago, but am struggling with the guilt and regret, which leads to bouts of depression and a list of other issues. What type of professional should I seek out? It is sexual in nature and happened in my childhood, but I wouldn't frame it as abuse, just trauma that led to behaviors I regret even though it's been several years. I'm not sure if I should seek treatment for depression, or if I should seek out a specialist in this area. Thanks.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Suzanne replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for bringing your question to JustAnswer.

This is an area I have a lot of experience in, as my specialty is trauma. I would suggest seeking a therapist who is trained in trauma work, and specifically someone who does EMDR. This is a therapy that is used to treat trauma, is research-proven to work, and works relatively quickly in comparison to traditional talk therapy.

Here's a link to a CBS news video about the method. You'll see the client using several pieces of equipment in the video, but in real life only one is used.
CBSvideo report on EMDR

Men tend to like this type of therapy, as it doesn't involve a lot of talking. Here's a link to a directory of therapists trained in EMDR. Therapists trained in EMDR

You may find additional therapists in this directory as well--use the search feature to find people who use EMDR. First put in your zip code. On the next page, on the left, choose Treatment Orientation, then EMDR.

Any therapist trained in EMDR can also address any depressive symptoms you may be having.

I wish you all the best,