Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Hello, I have recently purchased a programme that says it

I have recently purchased a programme that says it can help me overcome my social anxiety, called The Linden Method, it says you can overcome the anxiety just by following these pillars:

1.STOP VISITING EVERY PRACTITIONER YOU CAN FIND
2.TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT WITHDRAWING YOUR MEDICATION
3. STOP RESEARCHING YOUR CONDITION
4. ONLY FOLLOW THIS METHOD
5. STOP TALKING ABOUT YOUR CONDITION
6. STOP LEANING ON OTHER PEOPLE
7. DON’T HOLD ON TO MEMORIES OF YOUR CONDITION
8. DIVERT YOUR MIND – MAKE IT YOUR NEW HABIT – ALWAYS!
9.STOP ACCOMODATING YOUR ANXIETY

so most importantly, always occupy your mind with a diversion e.g hobbies etc, every minute while your awake. And don't avoid situations to accommodate your anxiety. And the social anxiety will eventually dissapear.

The website is here: http://www.thelindenmethod.co.uk/

Do you think this is a scam or will work? I am a bit desperate to be honest. If you think this will not work, do you know the most effective treatment for social phobia is without taking medication?

Thanks!! :)
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Though the Linden method does work for some people, it is not the only method to help yourself with social anxiety. There are numerous programs out there. None of them are foolproof, but some of them are more effective than others.

The most proven treatment (backed up by years of practice and research) is individual therapy. Talking out your fears with a trained therapist who can provide help based on your individual situation works best in most cases.

Medication is ok if you feel you cannot cope with daily life. It can help you at least function. But for the most part, medication should be used only until other therapy helps.

There are several self help treatments that work well for general anxiety, which includes social anxiety. Here is a list:

Claire Weekes- her books are still used today because she helped so many anxiety suffers overcome their fear.

Lucinda Bassett- currently the head of the Midwest Center for Anxiety. She offers a program that has helped a lot of people.

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund Bourne is excellent for any fears. It is self help and contains everything from supplements to relaxation techniques.

http://helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_types_symptoms_treatment.htm- offers education about anxiety and lots of resources, including support group links.

What works for you depends very much on your individual needs. Some people can buy a program, work it, and feel 100% better. Others need someone to talk to and still others want to do everything through self help.

There is nothing wrong with trying the Linden method. It may be the program you need. It's methods are different that other methods, which may give some people pause. But for others, it works. But also keep your options open. This is only one method. There is a lot of information, books, websites and personal options out there. The most helpful to you would probably be to try and learn everything you can about social anxiety then pick out what you feel would work for you. Therapy, support groups and self help together can sometimes be more effective than just one method.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.