How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Dr John B Your Own Question

Dr John B
Dr John B, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 557
Experience:  PhD in Clinical Psychology, registered clinical psychologist.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr John B is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 21 years old I live in rural australia so there isnt really

This answer was rated:

I am 21 years old I live in rural australia so there isnt really anyone to see here. I was wondering if you could help me or I could go to my GP as I really do want a referrel to talk to someone. When I was a child I had a few incidents happen to me. I have always had trust issues in relationships and I find it hard to trust anyone. On top of that I am constantly angry I feel angry all the time & I have the feeling that my partner is constantly up to no good. My daughter is nearly one and she was born extremely prematurely and I suffered alot.I refused treatment or councelling as I thought I could handle it but we spent 16 weeks in hospital and I felt I had developed PND throughout the hole ideal. I always feel so angry I am very neurotic I lose my cool ALOT ! and I overexagerate everything and make it worse than what it really is. I lash out alot over nothing and I am easily irratated. I just want some help in controlling this anger & what I should do to get refered do I go to my GP ? as I really do either want councelling or medication as this is getting out of control I am now constantly angry. All the time and Im sick of it !

It sounds like you have a trauma history that is impacting your every day life. Trauma often leads to trust issues. This will eventually lead to problems in your relationships. Trust is fragile and when you feel vulnerable you tend to pull back. Your need to not be damaged causes this sense of mistrust in others. This trauma can often lead to anger management problems. You can be experiencing an internal sense of anger that leads to you to lash out. This may be coupled with a poor sense of coping that leads to this anger management problems. Intense emotions such as anger and even exaggerating your emotions by creating drama can be related to trauma. You may not know how to genuinely express your feelings. I don't know what is in your country but I wanted to suggest that you consider online therapy, sort of like here, that goes with you anywhere. If you Google etherapy or ecounseling you can access care from where you are and have therapy from the US. It includes typical sessions but by webcam, IM or email. I have heard of Help Horizons and AllAboutCounseling but there are more now. Also pick up my favorite source the Courage to Heal.


Please press accept; this is the only way I am compensated. I won't be back until tomorrow

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yea thats fine i understand but Im looking for a little more than online help at this stage.



I'm Australian so I can offer some guidance on how to proceed within the Australian health care system. I agree with Psychlady in that it sounds like accessing trauma related therapy should be the priority.



Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is widely regarded as the gold standard therapy for trauma and I would strongly recommend that you seek out a CBT trained therapist for assistance. CBT is a psychotherapeutic approach that aims to solve problems concerning dysfunctional emotions, behaviors and cognitions through a goal-oriented, systematic procedure. Treatment is technique driven, brief, direct and time-limited (normally 10-12 sessions). CBT is used in individual therapy as well as group settings, and the techniques are often adapted for self-help applications.


CBT is usually offered by Psychologists (although not exclusively) and you can get a referral to a Clinical Psychologist two different ways within Australia:


1) Ask you GP to write out a request for Psychological services. This is a standard procedure, they will complete a form on the spot which you can then take to any Clinical Psychologist who is a registered Medicare provider. You can locate a Medicare provider Psychologist in your area by contacting The Australian Psychological Society. Take a look at the APS locator service here - you can use this to find a Psychologist in your area and if you aren't within driving distance they will also be able to link you with Psychologists who will work over the phone or via the internet. Also, take a look at an article published by the American Psychology Association here. It's an interview with a senior Psychologist and covers some of the things you should consider when you looking for a Psychologist. Medicare subsidizes sessions with a Psychologist in many circumstances, so you may be able to get some help at little to no cost to yourself.


2) If you don't wish to approach your GP you can actually contact the Australian Psychology Society directly and they will organize a referral for you. There is a phone number you can call when you visit the locator service on their website.


I hope this has been of some help. Please let me know if you have further questions or would like me to clarify any part of my answer.

Dr John B, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 557
Experience: PhD in Clinical Psychology, registered clinical psychologist.
Dr John B and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you