How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr John B Your Own Question
Dr John B
Dr John B, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 557
Experience:  PhD in Clinical Psychology, registered clinical psychologist.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr John B is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son. 34 yrs old is bipolar. He has won his case for disability

This answer was rated:

My son. 34 yrs old is bipolar. He has won his case for disability and is now receiving checks. I am his representative payee. Starting January 2012 until January 2017 I want to get him to the point of being responsible for his own finances, get him involved in support groups, get him involved in a hobby that will give him a reason for living. But I don't know where to go for the books, lessons, forums to help him with this. All I need is a place (like this) to help me go through the steps to help him. Is this the place?

Hi Jeanette,


JustAnswer is a good place to get answers to specific questions, get guidance on treatment options, second opinions on case information and recommendations on resources. It probably isn't the best place to be seeking ongoing support as this is something that is usually better provided by a person/service that can offer more intensive services. There are a couple of organizations that aim to support carers/family members of people suffering from mental health difficulties and I would suggest that contacting either of the following would be your best option:



You can contact the National Alliance on Mental Health here. NAMI are a consumer organization that has a network of local branches that can provide a wealth of information on the kind of services offered locally.


You can contact Mental Health America here. The MHA website contains lots of information regarding mental health issues, treatment options and available resources.


If at any time you want an answer or comment on a specific matter then JustAnswer is the place go. In the meantime I would also suggest that you take a look at this excellent Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) based self-help program for Bipolar Illness


It will provide you with an excellent starting point for beginning to develop strategies for you and your son to better manage his illness in the future.


I hope this has been of some help. Please let me know if you have further questions or would like me to clarify any part of my answer.

Dr John B and 3 other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, Dr. John B. - Weird that your full name is XXXXX XXXXX but I suppose there are reasons. Anyhow, thank you for your help. I did visit each link and thank you for providing them. They are helpful and I will make sure to take advantage of them.

Related Mental Health Questions